New roof for gazebo?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Jimbo

New roof for gazebo?

Post by Jimbo »

The roof on our gazebo (lightweight rubberised/plasticised fabric) has perished, but the metal framework remains sound. I've found a local craft person to make a new roof but she's unsure about a suitable fabric. I wondered if it was possible to use a lightweight fabric (cotton or synthetic) and spray with waterproofing compound - has anybody done this and does it work? (one unexpected benefit of the gazebo was that it keeps out the rain as well as the sun!)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Jim
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

What shape and dimensions is it? The 'plasticised' tablecloth fabric might be an option - is easily sewable, with only the seams as potential 'leak points'

Edit: spray waterproofer didn't work terribly well on the tent... :shock:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Two excellent suggestions - thank you Charollaise and Helen. Hadn't thought of tablecloth fabric and Brian Park responded immediately to my query about 'sew-ability' of their gazebo fabric - apparently doesn't need an industrial sewing machine, sturdy domestic is just fine. Will pass information to the lady doing the job.

We've never had a gazebo before (always used big parasols on extending arms) but it's (13x9 feet) been a big hit with guests. Not only for keeping off sun and rain but for those 'sinking into the sunset' atmospheric get-togethers with candles, wine and gentle conversation. Encouraged, we've just bought another for the pool terrace for next season.

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I love our gazebo at home for just that reason, frame was broken in a sudden gust of wind over the summer though, so it will have to be replaced next year.