Gone

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
wilko

Gone

Post by wilko »

Hi
I wonder if anyone can throw any light on the folowing.
This afternoon my wife logged on, we only have dial up. She told me that we had received 3 requests, which she had read and I saw, in the inbox. She asked me to check a mail in the outbox, which i did and then returned to the inbox to find the 3 mails no longer there???? I checked d/items and then all other folders, nothing!
Anyone any ideas as to where they might have gone? It is a little worrying as I am sure you can imagine.
Lastly the guru came by and he was also totally non plussed.
Any help much apreciated.
Rgds
Wilko
wilko

gone

Post by wilko »

Hi
Perhaps I should have added that we use Outlook Express
Wilko
A-two

Post by A-two »

There are various filters in "View" which can be applied to each mailbox. If you have the current "Inbox" view set to "unread messages", anything you read earlier will have now disappeared, although it is still there. This is my best guess for your problem.

To disable the filter, go to "Current View", and change it from "unread messages" to "messages", then the missing emails will reappear.
wilko

gone

Post by wilko »

Hi Joanna
Thanks for your reply. When I go to current view I get

Show all messages
Hide read messages
Hide read messages or ignored messages
Customise current view
Define views
Group messages by conversation

Be obliged if you could let me know next step. It is probably apparent but I'm something of a Luddite in these matters.
Rgds
Wilko
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

A recent Microsoft update, MS06-016, had the effect of making the Outlook Express address book disappear. Uninstall the update and the address book reappears.

Could Wilko's problem be linked with this?

Alan
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

I would click on 'show all messages'

Also you could try logging into to your email account directly via the web hosting page, however, if you say that you had the emails at one point, then the must have already been downloaded from the webmail server and therefore wont be there!! :?