Request that is impossible to answer

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Beachcondo

Request that is impossible to answer

Post by Beachcondo »

Just got a request for 2 weeks in July via FeWo.

After answering the e-mail, it comes back as failed recipient via Mail Delivery System.

Ok, I'll try and call then......my German is very basic, but people that want to rent in Florida usually speak some English, even if their request was in German.

Then that doesn't work either. His telephone number is incorrect too!

Now I have tried to find him via Das Telefonbuch, but cannot find any with that name who has 0202 in the beginning of their number (hopefully the area code is correct). I have no idea what city 0202 would correlate to, though.

Looked through facebook, but most people do not give their e-mail adress as common knowledge (I don't either).

Any suggestions?
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

If it's a valid enquiry then you should try again using the same mail. It could be there was a momentary problem and your mail will get through next time.
In the past I have had problems sending mail to certain people because their server considered my mail as spam. You have to read the return message where you might find a clue as to why it failed. Sometimes it is written mailbox full or "will not accept your mail for XXXX reason"
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Have you tried contacting FEWO?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Check and double check the email for errors. I had an enquiry that took me about 5 attempts. I failed to notice that the 'aliceadsl' part was written as aliceasdl. I'd already spotted a possible error in the spelling of his name. He hadn't left a telephone number. All of these errors seem to come from listing sites, perhaps they should confirm the email addresses with an extra line in the form.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Thank you for the advice, everyone!
I always send my answer as a reply, so I am sure to get the email right, but it doesn't help when the punters don't check their own mail address (or telephone number!)

I do agree that it would be a good idea if you would have to repeat the email on the enquiry form.
Unfortunately, I don't think FeWo can give me any clue except for what is in the mail already.

The message I got from Mail Delivery Service was this:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

XXX@aol.de

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <XXX@aol.de>: Recipient address rejected: aol.de (state 14)."

I checked and you can find an "aol.de" on the internet, so I figured that it was valid. Finally I tried to send it to @aol.com instead and have not had it bounce, so that was probably the cause.

So frustrating with a double fault, but lesson learned! :x
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Is there any clues in the name, like its Susan and their email is Suan, or is it similar to their surname?

Mind you, looking on the bright side, if they cant get their email or phone number right, maybe its a good job theyre not staying :wink: :)

edit

you dont think it could be a false enquiry do you, seems odd with email address AND phone number wrong? :roll:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Big Sis.. wrote: you dont think it could be a false enquiry do you, ...
I thought that too, but what is to be gained ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

e-richard wrote:
Big Sis.. wrote: you dont think it could be a false enquiry do you, ...
I thought that too, but what is to be gained ?
It crossed my mind too, but to what use?
I tried with another name combination first, but that bounced too. It was probably the .de that should have been .com (still no mail delivery message)
I have done the same sometimes with .se/.com email addresses.

Mind you, I have not heard back from him yet........
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

According to a web search, Wuppertal has phone code 0202. Not sure how that helps. If you can post the last part of the email address, it may be possible to work something out. A recent returning guest (UK) deliberately misspells her surname in her email address to make it different from many similar!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a bounced one last night via Holiday Lettings. I ended up sending from my Gmail address, and deleting the images and links from the original message, and so far no bounce. She had in fact already contacted me 3 weeks ago, that too bounced, from both addresses, and I ended up finding her and contacting through Twitter.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

@Margaret. Where do you find what city is connected to an area code?

@Helen. You found the person via Twitter? Impressive!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Only because she had an unusual real name and email handle
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I think I typed 'Vorwahl 0202' into google. Vorwahl is German for area code.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Thank you, Margaret!
Might come in handy in the future.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I wouldn't put too much effort into it.

Do you really want guests who can't get their email address or phone number right let loose on your house.

They'll find that they can't get the German TV channels and start taking the TV apart to see if they can work out what's wrong.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day