Refunds

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
A-two

Refunds

Post by A-two »

Disaster for my first UK guests of the year, poor things. Flying in for a week with 2 small children, due to check in this evening. They phoned and left a message to let us know that they will not now be coming at all. Airport noises in background, which is several hours from their home, so it seems that they set off, then were not allowed on the flight for some reason. He sounded very, very upset.

If someone misses a flight or the flight is overbooked, the airline puts them onto the next flight don't they? I have no idea why they are not catching a flight tomorrow instead. We advise everyone take out travel insurance and now have a link on our site to various competitive quotes, but this scenario may not be covered.

I'm not in the business of making money from someone's misfortune, but equally we have expenses and the time has been blocked out for them on the availability calendar, so I am feeling very uncomfortable right now. I can't imagine the nightmare they have just been through, but whatever it is, I'm bracing for a refund request and wanting to do the right thing even though I am not obliged to do anything except refund their security deposit......... :cry:

Anybody want a week at the beach going very very cheap???!!! ... :)
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

It's a very difficult one isn't it?

Just before Easter I had a family cancel because the heavily-pregnant wife had a miscarriage just 3 days before they were due to travel. Obviously I couldn't re-let the house with such short notice, but luckily they were covered by their insurance so I didn't feel guilty about not being able to offer them a refund. I did, however, offer them a 10% discount if they choose to make a booking in the future.

I make a very strong recommendation, in bold type, on my booking form that people should take out insurance - so if they don't do so and have to cancel, then I will feel very sorry for them but will only refund if I am subsequently able to re-let the house - and I would make the effort to do so, because basically I consider myself to be a "nice, helpful person"! :)
paolo

Re: Refunds

Post by paolo »

Joanna wrote:If someone misses a flight or the flight is overbooked, the airline puts them onto the next flight don't they?
If it's the airline's fault, like overbooking, yes, they put you on the next flight. If you turn up late for check-in and you have the cheapest ticket with no flexibility, you have to buy a new ticket for the next flight, or hope you get a very sympathetic airline employee.

I think you have no choice but to keep the money, if they have done something as silly as turn up late for a flight.

One rental agreement I use has a clause that says:

"It is an explicit condition of this rental agreement that you procure for all members of your rental party a comprehensive travel insurance policy (including cancellation insurance) that covers the party’s personal belongings and third-party/public liability."
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Yes it's all very personal but, at the end of the day, we are all running a business, no matter how small.

While I am very sympathetic towards people’s problems they are their problems. If they choose not to have insurance then they are self insured. Either way, the risk is theirs.

Alan
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

paolo wrote:"It is an explicit condition of this rental agreement that you procure for all members of your rental party a comprehensive travel insurance policy (including cancellation insurance) that covers the party’s personal belongings and third-party/public liability."
Sorry to hijack your post Joanna, but it's worth noting for other owners in France that the "third-party/public liability" part is very important, as the standard home insurance does not cover damage done to the property by the guests, as in France people's own home insurance covers them for this when away from home. So as I understand it if one of your guests burns down your house, your own insurance won't pay up as it is the guest's liability.

Are we willing to take the risk that a self-insured person will be able to pay up if they completely destroy our house????
janny

Post by janny »

It may be that the children did not have their own passport which is essential for flying to the States so check to see if this was the case in which event you deal with it as you feel is right but if this is the problem it is of their own making .Maybe their travel insurance will compensate them in which case all you need to do is give them a receipt for the monies paid but I doubt the insurance will cover this type of thing.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I had a similar situation last October when I had an email the day before arrival from the 'Booking Guest' saying that they had to cancel. The reason given was that it was due the Husbands work comittments. They did not request a refund (even though I was expecting it), but as it was such short notice I just refunded them the security deposit.

We too ask guests to take out a comprehensive travel insurance before they leave their country (these particular guests were from Holland). So maybe these clients did and claimed from their insurance...I don't know...but they did not demand they rental fee back.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

CatherineS wrote:
paolo wrote:"It is an explicit condition of this rental agreement that you procure for all members of your rental party a comprehensive travel insurance policy (including cancellation insurance) that covers the party’s personal belongings and third-party/public liability."
Sorry to hijack your post Joanna, but it's worth noting for other owners in France that the "third-party/public liability" part is very important, as the standard home insurance does not cover damage done to the property by the guests, as in France people's own home insurance covers them for this when away from home. So as I understand it if one of your guests burns down your house, your own insurance won't pay up as it is the guest's liability.

Are we willing to take the risk that a self-insured person will be able to pay up if they completely destroy our house????
The answer is a simple one. Go see your insurer and make sure your letting accommodation is insured "Maison, Résidence Locative"

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Joanna - I thought you were our tough business woman - good to see you are as soft as the rest of us :wink:

I agree that it isn't your fault and you need to remind them of your advice re insurance whilst commiserating. I let Kevin make these kind of decisions - I'm much too soft - but I am toughenening up!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Alan Knighting wrote:Yes it's all very personal but, at the end of the day, we are all running a business, no matter how small.

Alan
I doubt that any of us are going to finish as millionaires from our endeavours and, because we are so small, we are the last people who can make generous gestures to our customers, no matter what disaster has befallen them (and, yes, they should be insured).

I would consider offering them a modest discount on a new booking as a goodwill gesture, but no more (a guest in the hand is worth many website hits).

John
A-two

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:I think you have no choice but to keep the money, if they have done something as silly as turn up late for a flight.
I'm not sure I believe what I just heard - panic attack - couldn't get on plane for fear of flying - tried really hard, but couldn't do it. This is definitely in the no refund category.

However, I did offer to push the booking into next week if he could get over it, as we do have availability, which he appreciated but declined. So I wished him lots of wonderful driving holidays in France and will drop him a note about the YHM website when I mail the security deposit refund. I'll remember the suggestion to offer a 10% discount off future bookings as well. That's a nice gesture in different circumstances.

This family does have travel insurance but it's not going to cover this situation.

Thanks for all the feedback which was helpful.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

sorry, but I would have got on the plane without the panicker!! Holiday's are just too important to me. :lol:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I'm sure everyone will sympathise with the panicker, but no, you shouldn't refund and I hope your guests won't expect you too. The panicker probably knew it was touch and go and that this might happen - so, very sad and all that but it should be at their cost, not yours.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......