What's you deposit charge?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Margaret wrote:we used to take 100% at the time of booking
why is it that so many online hotel booking sites (such as Expedia.com, octopustravel.com etc) can get away with charging travelers a non-refundable 100% upfront payment for booking a room where us vacation rental owners are expected to be satisfied with 25%-30% booking deposit?? Surely it should be the other way round??
Riverside

Post by Riverside »

It appears that the deposit we take is comparatively low, it's £50 per week booked. At peak season that's not even close to 10% so I think it might be one of the things we reconsider for next year! Just to add, the deposit we take is also strictly non-refundable.

I have to say (re Margaret's comment about charging 50% and not mentioning it until guests wish to book) I would be quite surprised if that happened to me. I don't understand why you wouldn't make your booking process as transparent as possible.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

bananacake wrote:Surely it should be the other way round??
Why?

The likes of Expedia and Octopus Travel are well known brands. We're not.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

25% non-refundable, balance 8 weeks before here.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I take 25% but have increased the balance due to 9 weeks before for 2012[and for my 2113 booking 10 weeks before].

Having just been asked for the balance of a holiday Ive booked with a travel agent ,for the balance 12 weeks before.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Big Sis.. wrote:and for my 2113 booking
Now that's forward planning :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

:oops: 2013 thanks Mark :D
Windy

Post by Windy »

Out of interest does anyone take more than two payments - e.g deposit, interim payment and balance?
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

1. I take a $200 damage/reservation deposit at the time of receiving contract and will then take the days off of the calendar.(this is refunded if no damage, after guests leave)

2. 1/2 of the total rental payment due 60 days before arrival.

3. Last 1/2 of payment due 30 days before arrival.

Has worked fine so far (ending my second year) but I really don't like the $$ taken for charging the deposit as I give it back, so it costs me money and I'm not keeping any of the deposit in 99.99% of the cases. Have raised my rates slightly for next year and am planning and have started advertising a small discount for payment by personal check instead of credit card.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Out of interest does anyone take more than two payments - e.g deposit, interim payment and balance?
I do Windy as I always have a special offer on where by guests booking before xmas for the next year can do so for 10% deposit.
I then bill the remainding 40% at the end of January (but prompt them mid January just in case they're thinking of cancelling). Then the final balance plus DD 8 weeks before.

I have to say the 10% offer works quite well, as 50% is a lot to pay out if booking very early.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We take £150.00 per week booked or part thereof. i.e. 10 day booking = £300.00 deposit to secure the booking.

Balance 6 weeks before arrival together with damages/key deposit of £150.00 (£200.00) if bringing a dog.

Keep it simple.
mitchellbryson

Post by mitchellbryson »

I do the 10% or £100, whichever is greater
but I also charge a security deposit of £200 which is refundable (as long as there is no damage)

anyone else charge 2 different types of deposit?
Martha

Post by Martha »

30% deposit, balance 10 weeks before.

Security deposit - we take details of a card and the guest signs a form authorising us to use it (haven't had to yet, always a first time though!). I like this as there's no faff about deposit return, and I suspect (may be wrong) that the act of actually putting pen to paper and signing helps focus people's minds.

(I did take a £1500 security deposit from some guests that I was concerned about though.)

This year I'm altering the form so people are also signing for the amount of keys they have - we've had a few go missing, which have often turned up in weird places (under flowerpots, in windowboxes, you can imagine how easy it is). Hopefully this will encourage them to find them all before they leave!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
gironalet

Post by gironalet »

a very useful thread, all the above, thanks, the mist is clearing...