10 week booking 2012

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Blodyn

10 week booking 2012

Post by Blodyn »

Hi all, it's been quite a while since I posted and was hoping for some advise please.

I've had an enquiry for 10.5 weeks mid June-end August 2012 from Russia. I'm fairly sure it's not a scam as the phone number is valid & I've traced the person on 'facebook' (Miss Marple would be pleased!).

1. should I discount for that length of time?
2. what if they cancel last minute - I shall be left with the whole summer.

Although it would be nice to have the booking 'in the bag', I don't have a problem filling July & August.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts you might have. Thanks x
I love Wales - but oh the rain........
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

It depends what they are expecting really. If I were you I would aim to clarify what they are expecting from you before you start reducing your prices. I don't think Russians are necessarily looking for a bargain (anecdotal evidence only), but they might want more services - so a weekly clean, sheets changed, vodka and shopping in etc. I would probably quote full price and say that includes a weekly clean, sheet change etc.

Clearly this is a total generalization, but they might be quite hard wearing on your property. I have a friend that was a chalet girl in a v lux chalet, fully catered, £40k a week, and she said the Russians were completely unexpected in terms of doing it their way. They swept into the off limit kitchens, cleared out store cupboards, and esp the drinks, asked them to go out and get loads more vodka in, etc. Everyone ate at completely different times, someone would arrive for the starter while someone else would have got to pudding (it made the chef cry). Anyway, I would be delighted to have a ten week booking, but maybe you could give options:
A, fully everything,
and option B, you're on your own.

Just a thought. Good luck with it.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I think I'd ask for 50% of the total up front Blodyn, that might make them think again if they're considering cancelling.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

KathyG wrote:I think I'd ask for 50% of the total up front Blodyn, that might make them think again if they're considering cancelling.
I definitely agree about that bit. We were supposed to have a big Russian/Polish party once, coming for the wedding of a local couple. They were supposed to be here for 2 weeks, 10 of them. In the end the size of the party was reduced to half because the Russians couldn't get visas despite us providing all sorts of paperwork, and they reduced the length of time by half. It was our first year and we felt sorry for them so we didn't charge them the full amount in the end. However the lesson I learned was that if they are coming from Russia make sure that they are entitled to come before you agree to the let.

Can't comment on the behaviour aspects - the ones who did come were lovely and left the place fine.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

In another post somewhere on LMH someone talked about a long term rental where the villa was then rented out to other people without the owner's knowledge.
Are you onsite or have someone local who would be able to manage a situation like this should it arise?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Personally, I wouldn't touch it if you dont have any trouble with letting this period normally. Stick with what you know.

I like to lead a boring life :wink:
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I have rented 8 weeks to Russians , June and July, for the last 2 years. They have paid full price and not quibbled. They have paid 25% upfront and the balance 8 weeks before departure.
Blodyn

Post by Blodyn »

Thanks all for your comments.

I have emailed her answering a few questions she had and quoted the full price, so I'll just wait and see what happens next.
Montana

Post by Montana »

As Pepsipuss mentions, be prepared for the potential of a lot of back and forth over visas. These can be a pain to organise and you - as the owner of the property they will be living in - have to provide a good deal of information. Every time I've done it, there have been issues.
Acid corrodes the vessel.........
Blodyn

Post by Blodyn »

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I haven't heard anymore from them so I won't hold my breath but will take on board your comments should another booking like this turn up!