Gmail?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have to agree with Enid's daughter - I have both wanadoo and a gmail addresses - with the former I get at least 20 spam e-mails a day, with the gmail address, no spam at all. And I haven't noticed any advertising either. I use my gmail address more than the wanadoo one now - the fact that both can be used with MS outlook is a great advantage.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Guys, googlemail.com addresses also work if you use the gmail.com instead (or mine does anyway, I just tested it). So you can give them xxx@gmail.com . Try it and let me know.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Enid

Some good points there, really interesting reading.

Googling "gmail google security" produces some hair-rising stuff, and enough to put me off gmail.

To me it's like allowing Royal Mail to photocopy all my incoming mail before I receive it, then assembling related junk mail targeted at my interests; in addition keeping a searchable copy of everything.

My email is dense with passwords, usernames, partial credit-card information, bank account numbers, addresses etc and the idea that something/someone could sift through it and have access to the information is unacceptable.

I need to access email from PCs, in several countries, but have it searchable. Web-based mail is part of the answer. Gmail is not the solution for me, and until I find something better I will continue to use cotse.net which is fanatic about privacy, spam etc. and for around $5/month is worth looking at for anyone interested in these issues. Downside with cotse.net is crude archiving, storage is only 150Mb and support is tilted strongly towards geek jargon.

Goat

COTSE = Church of the Sleeping Elephant
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,
Web-based mail is part of the answer. Gmail is not the solution for me.....
But Gmail is web-based mail.
My email is dense with passwords, usernames, partial credit-card information, bank account numbers, addresses etc.....
If that's really true, you're asking for trouble whatever mail system you use.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan, it's my poor English.
Gmail isn't the answer as although it's web based, it hasn't got the security I need.

Cotse has got the security; I just can't avoid having the information I mentioned on its storage. There is no complete info on a credit card/bank account, hopefully no-one does that.

I will, however, continue using gmail for backup and general purposes, but not for financial info.

I realise this is as clear as mud. It's late.

Goat
enid

Post by enid »

This is a quote form Ali's blog which I think is relevant here.

Why is it that Google gets this flak but not others? Google are the most savvy at aggregating data, and inserting ads. However anyone that thinks that e-mail is a secure form of communication is wrong. Do you regularly encrypt and digitally sign your e-mail? No – then you are sending the equivalent of a digital postcard not a sealed envelope

Stick to the Royal Mial for those secret secrets whichever web based mail you use :wink: