Professional PR

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
lorca

Post by lorca »

excellent - well done!!
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

Congratulations Margaret.....are you still beaming?! :D

Did the PR recommendations help and do you think it was the professional PR (as you thought) that made the difference?

Andy
Andy Smith
Casa Montana

RE: Gaining press coverage

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

Hope everyone's well. Just wanted to pick peoples brains re: professional PR.

I am thinking about trying to get some press coverage within the cycling industry. It seems by the amount of cyclists kicking around my area, that cycling could be a good selling point.

So is it the norm when getting a feature in any of these magazines that the owner pays for everything ie: flights, transfers, food etc.......... In return for a great feature in a magazing.

Whoever's done this in the past - Has it brought a massive increase in 1: traffice to your website 2: Increased bookings.

Were you there when they stayed at the house?? Or do you just make it like a rental - Here's the keys, tell us what you think etc...... I'm thinking it would be better if i was there to show them the hightlights, solve any problems etc etc......

Be grateful for any advice from owners that have experience of this.

Thanks

Carl
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have done this in the past. We give free accommodation only - you need to offer travel as well if you want a proper press trip. Certainly we usually entertain press visitors and take them round as much as they want. I can't honestly say that we have had a single booking as a result - that I know of anyway - but it is all good publicity and doesn't cost much.
Val

Post by Val »

My cousin is a copy writer - I'll get her contact details for you to get in touch if you choose to
Casa Montana

Professional PR

Post by Casa Montana »

@Margaret - Thanks for the reply, always useful to know what's journalists expect out of these things :-)

@Val - That would be great to get in touch with your copywriter cousin. Any contact is always good.

Thank you both

Cheers

Carl
Casa Montana

Professional PR

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

Well it's looking like this press thing is going to happen and all because of contacts made on twitter. I've been trying to build up my twitter following - targeting cycling, walkers, climbers etc... The cycling press thing came about from me asking 1 of my followers who works in pr who's the best person to contact.

So possible 2 cycling magazines coming later on in the year, maybe as soon as Feb/Mar (eeeeek) To do some reviews of the off road mountain biking opps and on the on road cycling opportunities.

Heading out to our place this Saturday for 10 days. Was supposed to be a chilled out holiday, but it may well be time spent on market research etc..... Local trails, cycle groups and local guides.

Will keep you posted on how it develops :-)

Thanks

Carl
Redmen

Excellent

Post by Redmen »

Carl,

This sounds really exciting. I wish I had the knack of promotion...can't seem to pull it off. I'm doing the twitter thing and trying to get journalists interested but all I have ever had was requests for a free stay!!! Anyway good for you. Hope it brings in some business.

Regards
Up the red men!!
Lisac

Post by Lisac »

Carl
well done. How is it going?
Redmen
I note your new! Welcome
Lisa
The holly grail is happiness.
Casa Montana

Professional PR

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

@Redman - Yeah this will be a free stay at my house for these pr guys, but if it gets me an article in a cycling magazine and a feature on a cycling website, then the outlay is fairly minimal. Heating, cleaning etc.... Although 1 pr guy said client pays for flights + accomodation etc.... Other publication said we'll get ourselves over there and you provide accomodation.

@Lisac - Yeah slowly getting there. No dates definitely firmed up with these pr people just yet, but working out which dates suit and when i can get out to be ambassador for Casa Montana and show them what the place really offers etc........

As a result of the twitter thing i have had some independant cyclists who maybe interested in checking out what the riding is like over in Bocairent. So i think twitter is a good social media platform. Next step for me should be get a proper FB page etc......

Will update once i've got dates sorted....

Cheers

Carl
Casa Montana

Professional PR

Post by Casa Montana »

PS: Where's your house based? :-)