I must be mad!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Ju

I must be mad!

Post by Ju »

Actually I am fuming.

We are booked out this weekend in all three of our properties for a local wedding. It is the daughter of a prominant local counciller, who also happens to be our plumber. We gave a very good rate, and are being flexible on terms in a way I wouldn't normally be.

When they booked they asked if they could add a few more people. I agree to add a sofa bed, a double air bed and a single air bed, across the three properties, and agreed that if they wanted to add on or two more they could. This was all mainly as a favour to our very good, very reliable plumber.

The first guests arrived this morning, with a transit van FULL of matresses, and casually drop into the conversation that there will be a total of 45 people staying at the other site, which normally sleeps 20. I was gobsmacked to say the least. I only spoke to them a week ago and they were talking about 27!

I am annoyed on 2 points:

1. Why didn't they tell me up front?
2. Why have I been slogging my guts out cleaning and ironing for the last two days only for them to turn it into a doss house.

I am in a situation where I really can't say anything. Our plumber is a very respected member of the community, and we are just starting to be accepted in the village. If we kick up a stink the whole village will know about it. Also I don't want to be responsible for ruining someones wedding.

I'm thinking of going camping for the weekend, ignoring the whole thing, and hoping that when we get back the influence of a French Grandmother will have been enough to keep the place in good order.

Here's hoping!

Ju[/u]
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fingers crossed Ju, I think that would be the best course. After first going down to introduce yourself. It may not be as bad as you think.
Normandy Cow

Re: I must be mad!

Post by Normandy Cow »

Ju wrote:I'm thinking of going camping for the weekend, ignoring the whole thing, and hoping that when we get back the influence of a French Grandmother will have been enough to keep the place in good order.
I think that is probably the best policy! Have they paid you a security deposit?
Just try not to get wound up about it (easy to say, I know, but really there's no point getting stressed as it rather sounds like a fait accompli).

And think of the brownie points you are clocking up!!!!

We will be thinking about you! Good Luck!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wouldn't worry, the French are extremely clean and you shouldn't have much cleaning to do afterwards if that is any consolation. There have been a lot of posts on here recently that mention the French like to cram in as many people as possible, so I am not surprised at the extra matresses the brought with them. I never provide bed linen for a weekend let unless they pay extra, that usually puts them off and they bring their own, which they are quite used to doing.
It's not worth falling out with a good plumber - but I would go away for the weekend, out of sight, out of mind. At least they are taking all your properties, so won't be upsetting any other guests (I had a bad experience with something similar last year and won't let out the big house for parties anymore if other guests are staying.)
Edit: I forgot to ask, is the reception in one of your houses or is it just for sleeping? If it is just accommodation, they will be out most of the night and won't use the kitchen at all, so even less to clean up. When I've had wedding guests stay before, they slept in the house and used the bathroom, but that was it. A nice, easy rental!
Last edited by la vache! on Thu May 04, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Ju - My house is empty this weekend if you fancy a freebie stay in Normandy! (Just bring your own sheets though!) :D
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I wouldn't worry - English 30 ft boat - 4 people, French 30 ft boat - 10 people. They are just friendly or something.

John
gh

Post by gh »

Quite rightly you are mad, I would be too. They have taken a liberty and probably know it thats why they didn't tell you to begin with.
I would go away from it or dont go near them, then you wont be tempted to say something, which like you say, will not benefit you in the community, which is hard to be accepted into.

Take their money have a lovely week-end with your family. Their family matriarch will keep them in line as she wouldn't want her family to be know for leaving the house not clean in the community either.

French, dont you just love them :roll:
Ju

Post by Ju »

Thanks everyone, I feel much better having got it off my chest. The reception isn't at our place, but they are planning a meal tonight for everybody.

Catherine, what a very generous offer! I'm very tempted, but the 5 or 6 hour drive puts me off a little, especially with the 2 girls! We are buying a new tent this afternoon, so we are going to test it out, there are loads of places we can go less than an hours drive, so that way we won't be too tired on our return on Monday. School holidays finish on Tuesday morning (thank goodness) so we don't want to be to worn out.

Next time I do a weekend let I definately won't bother with the linen.

Ju
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ju,
I sympathise, it's a nightmare, because you can't say anything to ruin the wedding day. We learnt the hard way also when 35 turned into 200 (for the party, not all staying).

Now we say no to larger groups or for any kind of function, especially weddings, but I hope everything runs smoothly for you with their Rehearsal Dinner and if so, I'm sure your generosity will stand you in good stead in the local village.

Let's just hope you don't become "the place" to rent for large weddings!!!!! Or if you do, put such a high price on it that they are really put off. (they charge $5,000 here to rent a place for a wedding and that's just for the day!).

Go camping - yes, definitely get away if you can.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We spent the weekend camping as planned in our new, palacial tent. Unfortunately it rained for most of the weekend, but never mind. We had found a lovly little campsite, in a nice quiet area. Unfortunately, the Parc de vacances next door were hosting a wedding! I spent the first night listening to the music, and then the revellers, who were outside singing rugby songs at 5 in the morning, and by 7 had progressed on to playing the tuba! Of course all I could think of was that this ws the type of person currently at our properties!

Well, they have all left now. All the properties are clean and tidy (certainly cleaner than our British guests!). Only one breakage, a glass lampshade that I have been thinking of changing anyway. We have had no complaints from the neighbours, yet, so I assume it all went off peacefully.

I'm not sure that the money is worth the worry though!

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so pleased it went OK - but like you say it isn't worth the worry! I let out my large house often for the weekend over the winter/Spring and have never had any problems with French guests at all - they seem to have a lot more respect for the property, even when there are a lot of them staying!
enid

Post by enid »

Glad things went OK and that everything was in order when you got back.
debk

Post by debk »

What a relief! Thanks for posting the update. I was worrying for you a bit over here, too. :)
debk