In today's Telegraph

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
CSE

Post by CSE »

charles cawley wrote:………

I am sorry if this is off thread. The likes of those clever people buying a holiday cottage and so easily making it pay for itself with Muffin the donkey have little or no idea of the realities of the holiday cottage market. Should any naife souls actually follow its prompt they will either have to learn fast and possibly avoid losing a packet or they will just lose a packet.
Nicely said.

[quote="Marks

Well it rained here yesterday which is the first time since Christmas Day and today it is clear blue skies and about 18C. Thinking of taking lunch in the garden, again :wink:[/quote]

The interior of Galicia is unbelievably dry at the moment. Today we have had a sort of misty rain. You know not rain and not mist. Temps are not so high as yours, maybe lucky to see 11cent. Hence I am posting too much instead of doing other things outside.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Marks

Post by Marks »

It's been the mildest winter we have known in the 7 years we have been here, and the driest too.

Sorry for the thread creep
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Marks wrote:…….

We may be cheap on the CB but at least we can guarantee the sun.
That point is a step too far. It must rain be cloudy sometime. :wink:

Having spent a month touring the U.K. then back to The Netherlands and through France back home. I personally found the rentals and B&Bs in the U.K. far too expensive and not good value.

I wonder if these two are part of the ingrates who complain about the noise on race days at the local circuit? You know the sort. Purchase a house with no research then find the pub, church airport, or race circuit nearby and complain.
I also wonder if they lost income during the filming of War Horse?
Having raced sidecars for many years, I understand there's a noise committee in many villages near race circuits. The one near Brands Hatch is run by somebody relatively new to West Kingsdown village!
Andy Smith
CSE

Post by CSE »

Another pointless article in the DT..are they a link farm???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... Spain.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I wonder how many of the companies linked to pay for print adverts in the Telegraph group newspapers?

I would guess 100% but I really can't be bothered to look :lol:
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The two oldest professions in the World seem to have merged. Some would say that the other profession might have suffered a blow to their reputation.

These sorts of articles corrode confidence and bring a tawdry and cheap feel which we could all do without. The good news is that, given the economic prospects, our part of the UK cottage market, not just CHL but in our area, seems to be better than last year.

The higher quality occupy 6 to occupy 10 cottages are showing radical booking increases over last year. Occupy 2 and occupy 4 are about the same as last year. Cottage owners are going to get there inspite of those third rate journalists, not assisted by them.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

charles cawley wrote:The two oldest professions in the World seem to have merged...
Farming and prostitution???
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Ho ho. You may have a point.

I was expected to work on my brother's farms.

The day I noticed that cows have a sense of humour and distinct characters, as in Alice and Wonderland being introduced to my food, I could not stand it any more. I am not a vegetarian, but such close proximity rather upset me.

You may have a point. Certainly, the tension found in some farmers, especially single men, can come from the need to care for stock and then send it off to slaughter. Deep down they know yet they have to accept what they feel is brutal necessity.

The countryside can be a complicated place.. I like to think it makes it even more interesting. This makes the contrast to the third rate articles now the rule about holiday cottages and the countryside even more stark.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting