Attributing bookings

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
lorca

Post by lorca »

I´m with Mols

If it´s not clear where an enquiry originates then it´s just that - not clear - it can only distort your data to "guess" one way or the other.

If it were me I would just make a note of the two sources. If it came to make or break with renewing either of the listing sites at the end of the year then I´d take it into account

I agree re long lets too - unless they´re quite common from a particular source

Having spent a chunk of my previous life thrashing statistics around, it´s all easy to draw the wrong conclusions for the sake of neatness......
If not now, when?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I have an additional heading in my stats 'unknown' - this covers all those who when asked where they found our details reply 'errm on the computer', 'my daughter/friend gave them to me' or more commonly 'On Google' - I do also have a comments column on my spreadsheet to make any necessary notes . . . .
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

kendalcottages wrote:And with scenario 2, I'd have actually attributed it to the listing site if I'd known of one (otherwise I'd attribute it to his own site). Yes, there's a final call to action there... but that opportunity wouldn't have arisen if it wasn't for the listing site.be left with diddly squat despite making the initial referral.
Yes, that's my reasoning too KC.

There's another scenario though: for certain search words, you might find your website on page 1 and rubbing shoulders with your ad on a listing site.

It could be sheer chance then as to which result the guest clicks on first and enquires through ....

So I agree that this is not an exact science. There are some great quotes here ...

My favourite is
(Mark Twain:) Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Follow @madeupstats on Twitter; that's even more fun !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Thanks for that. I liked this one (thread creep alert:)
If the 'Twitterverse' were an actual physical area, it would be the size of China with the economic productivity of the island of Tuvalu.
I'm starting to reach the same conclusion!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Marks

Post by Marks »

Just stick it under unknown with a little comment and then if, and its a very big if, it makes a difference to whether or not you renew an advert chuck it into the equation otherwise move on. Life's too short.... 8)
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Richard... have you considered introducing a dual attribution feature into PIMS....?

I know how you're always looking for new features to implement... ;) ;)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.