Sleeping Mouse

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
CarolineH

Sleeping Mouse

Post by CarolineH »

I have a frustrating problem that I have searched all over the net and not yet found a solution - you are all so knowledgeable here, that I thought I'd ask in the vague hope that someone can help me.

I have a desktop PC Windows XP SP3 and my mouse regularly goes to sleep and doesn't move - I have to wait several seconds for her to wake up and listen to me again.

The problem happened with my previous PC and having searched on the net I read that it was probably a virus or a malware issue - I run MSE and have tried various spyware malware detecting progs that have not resolved the problem.

I had to upgrade my PC about 6 months ago (complete reinstall of everything) and yippee the problem went away - now it's come back again :cry:

It is most frustrating - can anyone suggest a solution, please?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I forgot to mention that mousey is a little schizophrenic, too. Sometimes she's very sleepy as described above but sometimes she leaps across the screen as if she's drunk too much coffee.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Have you tried a different mouse?
What you describe could be down to a faulty cable, or even the LED failing to 'wake up' after a period of inactivity.
Open for business.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

DaveN wrote:Have you tried a different mouse?
What you describe could be down to a faulty cable, or even the LED failing to 'wake up' after a period of inactivity.
Dave - thanks! Stupidly, I had not tried a different mouse - I was so convinced that it was software related....

Original mousey was not LED - she has ball(s)! And she never failed to wake up after inactivity, it was always in mid-scuttle.
However I have just replaced her with Laptop mouse who is LED and for the moment I am seeing none of the offending behaviour.

Let's hope that's fixed - it reminds me of this little gem
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Excellent - worthy of the late Gerald Wiley!
Open for business.