NY proposed ban on ALL rentals less than 30days

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
Musetta

NY proposed ban on ALL rentals less than 30days

Post by Musetta »

in case you hadn't heard, here's a link to just one of many recent articles about the state-wide blanket ban on short-term rentals:

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettrave ... ackdo.html
olive

Post by olive »

It's not clear from the article, but it does seem that the ban is only on sub-letting, not on all holiday letting. There is an important difference between the two.
Amusingly, it is the opposite which is true in Paris: you probably could sublet your flat there under the regulations which forbid changing the destination of a property (from primary residence to holiday lets).
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

olive wrote:It's not clear from the article, but it does seem that the ban is only on sub-letting, not on all holiday letting. There is an important difference between the two.
please explain? I was unaware that NY (or anywhere in the US) made a distinction between the two is there somewhere to read up on that? (in NYC, for some stupid reason, they use the term "subletting" to refer to renting out your place - even if you 100% own a condo...they still call it "subletting" same as if you had a lease and then rented that out.) I believe holiday lets are just fine (as long as you comply with building regulations - they all have their own and can be quite strict...from just filling out a form, to having to have the tenant have in interview with the board) just as long as the contract is for 30days - no mention of anyone having to be a resident, etc.
olive

Post by olive »

The article asks:
“Should New York ban short-term rentals or allow tenants to sublet as long as they obey existing commitments to condo associations, etc.?”

I thought that “tenant” meant the same thing as in England. Does it mean “owner” in the States?
In England, “sublet” means that a tenant lets to another tenant. And in the States?

Another language issue, I guess. Or another sloppy journalist.

The article says that “short-term sublets are..... less complicated than vacation rentals”. What does this mean, Musetta? I can understand it, but only if I use "English" vocabulary.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

sloppy journalist.

you're right...tenant means the same thing...but tenants do have similar rights in NYC as owners - they can, legally, sublet out their place (restricting on price, etc. if the place is rent stabilized or rent-controlled- but that's a whole other issue.)

The ban includes owners - I should have posted a different article..and, for some reason, in nyc, they use the term "sublet" interchangeably - not a US thing...just a New York thing.

"The article says that “short-term sublets are..... less complicated than vacation rentals”. again. sloppy journalist. I think he's talking about that site that lets you rent a room in someones apt. - not sure how he thinks that's less complicated though.

There currently is NYC regulation about rentals less then 30days, but it is vague and confusing. The big deal with this one is it is New York State actually making it illegal (not just against city codes, etc.) to have someone rent an apartment from you for less than 30days. (although, truth be told, most buildings have their own rules and do not allow rentals of less than a year. some 6 months, and only a handful 30days.) I don't have a problem with buildings and owners deciding the rules for themselves...my huge problem is with the State government dictating how an owner can utilize their own property.

The Governor (so I've read) has said he will veto though (against the Mayor and most of NYC)...so we'll see what happens I guess.
Blythe

Post by Blythe »

I am not a fan of this proposed ban. I sublet in New York for 2 weeks out of every season. It is my 2nd home and is the only way I am able to move there temporarily. I may have to start looking into buying my own place there with this new law. I know NY is expensive, but how much would I be able to move into an efficiency in a decent part of town these days with movers?
Steve Sas

Post by Steve Sas »

We had a similar issue in Coconino county (Flagstaff AZ). Luckily, we fought the case and won!! But it was a stressful time...