To scroll or not to scroll...that is the question.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
sazzleevans

To scroll or not to scroll...that is the question.

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

A friend of mine has just had a website created for him. Its nice but i am concerned that the scrolling my prevent people from reading the text and i think we have different views on this.

onestopayamonte.com/

Just wondering what you all think and any other comments welcome.

SARAH

PS Cant seem to add a poll...anyone help?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I find it distracting.
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

It is a bit difficult on the eye and if it is the site's 'catchline' don't make it difficult to read.

And really you are dragging people's attention from the important pages on the site, such as your property management and legal advice sections.

I also notice that you use the same title in the HTML on every page which is not the best way to be seen in Google.

A simple title of what each individual page is about would be better.

Any questions just shout.

Regards

Craig
Martha

Post by Martha »

I don't think scrolling is such a problem here - it's an information site after all - providing the information is properly prioritised in the first place, but I do see some problems here..

A few things that need looking at:

Why two different logos, two instances of the name at the top?

The graphical text (below the green/yellow logo) is really important - this is what they do. But it is barely readable, and should be HTML text anyway, for search engines.

The scrolling text is very distracting and hard to read.

The copy makes no sense but I think is perhaps unfinished?

"...You would probably be interested in considering the following services that we can provide to you at this stage: . If you would like any further information, please,do not hesitate in contact us and we will be more than happy to help.

Saludos.!"

(there are no services following....)

The photos on the home page (apart from the header) are very low quality and should be replaced.
Try Istockphoto.com or sxc.hu for inexpensive or free stock photos if you don't have any better ones.

There are many different styles of link text - much better to stick with one or two.

The Legal advice - you should put qualifications on here. I don't think many people would give power of attorney to someone without knowing their legal background. I'm sure there are qualifications, so they should be on here.

I don't understand what the recommended sites are. Why send people away when they've just arrived on the homepage? They should be in another section.

Hope this is helpful to your friends! :D Good luck
charles

Post by charles »

Scrolling text (aka marquees) falls foul of the Accessibility recommendations as it makes it very difficult for people with visual impairments to read and for screenreading browsers to interpret.

It's so yesterday too..

Charles