Ok here's my website for your wise comments

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
tavi

Ok here's my website for your wise comments

Post by tavi »

biting my nails here.

first rental property, first website (love how easy PMP is).

I've been tweaking the site alot (to make it presentable for you) and now I don't know if I'm making it more confused. I just want it to look cool and beachy but professional.

I think I need better photos and maybe some for the local area page but not sure how to get them (other than taking my own!)

Have set up Google analytics but barely understand a word of it and SEO is also a bit of a mystery to me.

www.cabanasbeachhut.com
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Honestly I'm impressed. Good clear info. My only quibble is maybe the photo of the sitting room with the draped cover on the sofa is less appealing than the other photo of the sofa. It would be good to see another angle of the sitting room if possible.

Good work.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think it looks great. As you say, you need some photos on the things to see page, and in the gallery you need to even up the photos a little (an extra one to fill in the gap at the bottom, and just before that there are two unequal sizes). But I thought the photos are good, the website is clear and I really can't find anything else wrong, except perhaps the captcha - I really don't like complicated captchas as I inevitably end up entering the letters incorrectly as I really can't read them. Keep It Simple Stupid
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks lv

but what's a captcha?

so I should try to get the photos all the same size?

thanks wally, it's great to have photos feedback as I had thought that photo was quite nice, I can tell I need fresh eyes to look at them!
january

Post by january »

The Captcha is the anti spam box at the foot of your enquiry form.

In some places you call your property The Beach hut holiday flat, in others you refer to it as apartment.

I would stick to apartment which sounds far nicer, and more like a holiday property.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Hi Tavi,

Yes, a very nice, clean looking site.

I agree with january about the 'Beach hut holiday flat' name - doesn't quite sound right to me.

Again, nice pics, you've done a good job there !

Are you able to add one or two pics to the 'Local area' page, might just add a bit more in the way of colour !

And are you able to add some links to airline companies etc on your 'getting here' page. Any way in which you can help your potential guest always helps them to be more likely to book with you, rather than go elsewhere.
Ray
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks january and ray,

yes, I started using the word flat - was kind of thinking it made it sound small and cute :lol: then I added in "apartment" in some places because I think that's a term that's used more in searches? So I'll change that so it's consistent.

How do I add links to airlines (good idea that) - can I do it and get the airlines' logos?

For pics of the local area - I tried copying some photos from Google images but it didn't seem to work. Wondered if I was contravening some law or something.

Thanks everyone. More comments are most welcome.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I think it looks good - well done!
Lots of info on the apt and the area and seems to include the important info.

I agree re the photo of the sofa with the throw. Most of the pics are nice.

One thing that struck me though - you refer to a "mini-kitchen". That makes it sound very small and substandard. I can't tell from the photos how it is but if it's open-plan just say that. Or use the word "compact". I think "mini" doesn't send the best message.

Re using the word "flat", I agree it's not great but having just done e-richard's HL search words research, I was surprised to see how many people used the word "flat" in their search, so I've inserted it on a few pages and on the properties tags.

Best of luck with renting!
Lounging on the lily pad...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Tavi, your property has an attractive waterfront location but your photos aren't doing it justice. Too many similar pictures (mostly too dark) from the same viewpoint. A cracking shot (cropped to a panorama shape) of the waterfront for your header and maybe another from the property showing your proximity would be enough. Then, additional tighter shots from beach level of water activities like fishing, swimming, water birds and boats would add pace and interest to your gallery.

The contrast, density and colour balance of your photo gallery are all over the place. I'd suggest working on each in turn in a picture editor until they more or less match and then view them as a batch in a browser to see how they work together.

Some suggestions below.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Jim
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

^^^This.

For me also, I don't like the main banner pic taking centre stage on other pages, if you take me to the photographs, take me there, don't make me scroll down to see them.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
tavi

Post by tavi »

thank you all of you

Jim the "after" pictures are so much better. What did you do...did you just increase "luminosity". Yes you're right the photos in the gallery were taken with different cameras on different days, and then I messed around with them (really have no idea what I'm doing on Picture manager - am still learning!)

thanks for the feedback on mini-kitchen... would kitchenette do? It's nicely equipped but it does only have a two ring hob and a microwave.

See what you mean Kevin, but the templates on PMP are all pretty similar, not sure if there's an option to have a smaller header. I'll have a look.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

tavi wrote:thank you all of you

Jim the "after" pictures are so much better. What did you do...did you just increase "luminosity". Yes you're right the photos in the gallery were taken with different cameras on different days, and then I messed around with them (really have no idea what I'm doing on Picture manager - am still learning!)

thanks for the feedback on mini-kitchen... would kitchenette do? It's nicely equipped but it does only have a two ring hob and a microwave.

See what you mean Kevin, but the templates on PMP are all pretty similar, not sure if there's an option to have a smaller header. I'll have a look.
I understand, but it's what I did first time out. Thinking a uniform page format was the best way to go, only to find everyone jack man of them disagreed with me.....so I changed mine to suit, the hits have been better since.

My next one is
http://www.encantada-vacation.com/index1.html

Is that an idea you could utilise?

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

tavi wrote:Jim the "after" pictures are so much better. What did you do...
Picture 1: Too dark: Decrease density. Blue cast: Add yellow. Crop to balance sky and foreground. Add (a little) sharpening.
Picture 2: Too dark: Decrease density. Green cast: Add magenta. Too flat (lacking contrast): Add contrast. Crop to remove white structure on left. Add (a little) sharpening.
Picture 3: Too flat (lacking contrast): Add contrast. Strong yellow cast (from tungsten lights): Add blue. Not sharp: Add sharpening.

1. Colour casts can be most clearly observed in highlight areas close to white (as in the white covers on the bedroom shot). White should be 'white' but have tone (ie: not burnt out without detail). NB: But always remember that 'warm' colour casts (red/yellow) may enhance a picture - like sunsets for example - whilst 'cold' (blue/green) casts - like kitchens lit with fluorescent tubes - are nearly always unpleasant)
2. Web pictures usually benefit from a little additional sharpening but add with care and look carefully at an enlarged version of the file with various levels of sharpening before pressing the OK button.
3. Do a little of each process and carefully observe the results before you move to the next step. Improving a picture file is most often not a dramatic lunge on the accelerator but rather a combination of small stuff. Try to carry in your head an idea of how the finished photograph should appear.
4. ALWAYS save your original file safely elsewhere and carry out editing improvements on a copy file.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Is it possible to have the large header photo on the front page only? I think it looks great there but takes up too much space once you want to get more info from each page.

I couldn't see an availability calendar anywhere or a "call to action"? If I decide I want to book (and I may well, because it looks lovely :wink: ), then firstly, I want to see if it might be available and secondly I want to know what I have to do to book. An enquiry form is not inviting me to book is it? Spell out how your booking process works and make it easy.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Thanks all once again, some very useful comments.

Photo stuff is very interesting, Jim.

Kevin and Nemo I'll have a look at improving using your suggestions.