Cots and highchairs - charge extra?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
moose

Cots and highchairs - charge extra?

Post by moose »

I was just reading through the tips page and see that you don't recommend charging a surcharge for these extras but I've seen so many ads that do.

Do people generally pay a bit extra or do most of you include it in the overall rental?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I just include it in the rental. My cot wasn't expensive from IKEA and similar with the highchair.

I know I'd be put off by "extra's" so I push the fact my price is fully inclusive and that seems to be appreciated.

I'm sure there is a thread elsewhere about cot matresses as you are supposed to change the matress for every different user. I'm not saying what I do on that though! :)
debk

Post by debk »

soodyer wrote:I know I'd be put off by "extra's" so I push the fact my price is fully inclusive and that seems to be appreciated.
Ditto. We have a port-a-crib available upon request. No charge. Two fitted sheets included.

Fully inclusive prices are appreciated by our guests, too. Quick example: We recently got a booking from a woman who originally found a place that cost almost half of ours. She emailed me about that and I said, "Hey, if you found something in a good neighborhood with all the amenities that you need for half the price, go for it!" She came back later with... "well, seems they charge separately for a variety of little things" and she couldn't be bothered. Overall, I think their rates were still significantly cheaper than ours but they lost the booking on their extra fees and the bad impression that gave the guest.
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have 2 cots and 3 travel cots, 4 high chairs and 2 baby baths - I had to invest last year because of the bookings last June, all young families, with at least one baby! I don't charge extra for any of them.
gh

Post by gh »

The cost of babies is high enough for some young couples so we offer portable cot, high chair, changing mat available if required and supply a new set of plastic plates, cutlery and beaker for each child coming all included in the price. Some things like buggies, car seats and cot mattress's etc have tooooo many reg's to comply with. :roll:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I do have a cot quilt but steer clear of cot bedding as it is something I figure folk would want use their own. (and as childless by choice I don't have a clue!)
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We provide cots, high chair, blenders (for baby food) etc all free of charge. I think it helps us attract families, costs very little to provide and our guests really seem to appreciate it.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

soodyer wrote:I do have a cot quilt but steer clear of cot bedding as it is something I figure folk would want use their own. (and as childless by choice I don't have a clue!)
Oh I really would be surprised if a parent had an issue with "used" cot bedding. It's no different to adults and children sleeping in a hotel/gite bed (speaking as a parent of three).

We supply tons of stuff for babies/kids (which definitely works to our advantage) at no extra charge at all. For each cot we provide a full set of cot bedding, separate towels, facecloths, toys etc. If the bedding needs changing midweek due to "accidents" then there is a washing machine and tumble dryer available in the property.

Hope that's helpful.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We charge £10/week for the cot and high chair and do not supply bedding. The cost has never been a problem that we are aware of and, we too, feel that people would prefer to use their own bedding.

We looked a couple of years ago and there seemed to be an official line that mattresses should be renewed with each use. This seemed so ridiculous that we have ignored it.

John
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

I guess it's less of a big deal for domestic holidays, but for travelling internationally - to have to take a cot rather than pay for it or to take your own bedding....

To me that would really put me off booking somewhere over a property that offers whatever needed (within reason) for no extra charge :?
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I think it was me - way back when - who raised the issue of new cot mattresses every time the cot was used due to some Health and Safety issue. At the time we didn't provide a cot or highchair. Now we do ... and share John (from Cromercrabholiday)'s view:
there seemed to be an official line that mattresses should be renewed with each use. This seemed so ridiculous that we have ignored it.
A-two

Post by A-two »

We too make a big thing of being all inclusive and I agree that it does make a difference to include travel cot and high chair free of charge. We had one of each last year, but I'm adding another one of each this year as we have 11 month twins arriving.

I don't provide travel cot bedding because I think babies settle better with familiar smells and my washing liquid will not be the same one used at their house. To me, getting the baby to sleep in a strange bed on arrival is more important than putting an extra bag in the aircraft hold. Even the Mum arriving with 11 month old twins from the UK this summer agreed.
Banksie

All inclusive items

Post by Banksie »

Like many of you, we have a cot and highchair which is included within the price. We're new to the Lay My Hat site and, after having read many of the postings, we are going to include a potty, training seat kids plates and cutlery - once again all included. We had a local management company who rented our place out to local lets (Costa Blanca, Cabo Roig) and we discovered that they witheld the Air-con remote unless guests paid an additioal 20 euros a week. We just want guests to get a " what you see is what you pay" deal with no surprises.[/quote]
Our dilemma is wishing we could spend as much time in our flat as the people who rent it but if we did we wouldn't be able to rent it!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

At the moment we have no baby equipment, mainly due to the fact we haven't yet got our storage room, so there's nowhere to put them. My sister has a toddler, and will pass on the travel cot when she's finihed with it, and I'll probably buy a highchair from IKEA or something. I won't charge extra though. I preferred that a price was all-inclusive, no extra cleaning charges or anything.