Who am I, what am I called?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Badger

Who am I, what am I called?

Post by Badger »

Ok I'm all revved up (With apologies to Meatloaf) and am now doing my own website but have almost fallen at the first hurdle - I don't know what to have as my domain name.
Problems are that I have 2 apartments in south Tenerife, one in Los Cristianos and another in Costa Adeje, so I am finding it difficult to find a descriptive title covering both.
Searching for names, I could choose one such as canary-sun rentals or my-tenerifesun.com but they sound more businesslike than I would like, I want something that is warm, friendly and personal.
The strengths of both properties I feel is that they both have good sea views. Although the Los Cristianos one is away from town so there is peace and quiet, the Costa Adeje one is more central for bars, restaurants and nightlife.
I am quite pleased with my bookings from existing rental sites that I use so the search engine rating isnt a main priority. Suggestions would be much appreciated. At the moment they are listed on www.holidayrentals.co.uk/12882 and www.holidayrentals/60646
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Badger, your properties look wonderful - I'm so jealous, sunshine has been rather scarce in this part of the world so far this year! I'm fed up with grey skies, your blue ones look far more attractive...

I'm not an expert, but I've just done a search and the following are available:
tenerife-rental.co.uk
tenerife-rental.eu
tenerife-holiday.eu
tenerife-accommodation.eu

.eu may be the way to go - it is new, but the company I work with, France Telecom are re-branding to Orange and rumour has it that they with use .eu instead of .com, so it may be worth snapping up a few addresses before everybody does (all credit for this goes to Joanna for mentioning it first!)
I've bought a few myself because of her tip.
charles

Post by charles »

I think you should stick to .com as it's universally known - or .co.uk as second choice.

If you have a memorable name in your domain people may remember it and try adding the common endings to it in order to reach your site - but I can't see many thinking about trying .eu or .es for example.

My 2€ anyway....

Charles
A-two

Post by A-two »

PortRoyale.eu
LosGeranios.eu
CanarySun.eu
TenerifeRentals.eu
*CanaryIsles.org
*VisitingTenerife.eu
*VisitingTenerife.com
*AlternativeTenerife.eu
TheBadger.eu

* My picks. Number one pick is VisitingTenerife, because I absolutely love Debk's domain VisitingPortugal - so memorable - and because both the prime dot.com and dot.eu versions are available as I write. If you like it , buy both versions - use the dot.com for now and park the dot.eu. I picked CanaryIsles.org because it's rare and has already sold in all versions including dot.eu, but if you don't like it, don't buy it. Teneriferentals.eu may sell quickly to a competitor if you don't buy it. All place names sell eventually and I think you'll find all around you have sold in the dot.com, large place names go first, so most of those are already gone in dot.eu as well, but still plenty of regional/ town names left.

You should be paying no more than $15 per dot.eu name per year and $8 per dot.com. Do not let price influence your decision to buy a dot.com over a dot.eu - prices are going to rise by $7 fairly soon on dot.com - but I agree it is still number one. However, I would definitely not choose a dot.co.uk over a dot.eu, sorry to disagree with the above poster. You do not need to pay VAT. Do not get ripped off!

My 2 cents (which is definitely not worth as much as 2 euros.... :-))

P.S. If anyone is looking for both domains and hosting, this might be useful, go to Dotster.com.

Enter the coupon code “5ForFree� during the check out process to receive five free domains with your purchase of any hosting package. Pick from .com, .net, .org, .biz, or .us domains—any five, any combo for free! But hurry, you only have until May 22 to cash in on this great offer.

• Starter Package: Provides enough storage and bandwidth for most customers. Now offers 5GB of storage and 250GB of transfer. $5.95 per month.

• Standard Package: Dotster’s most popular package. Allows users to host up to 50 domains with one hosting package. Provides 10GB of storage, 500GB of transfer and 150 e-mail accounts. $8.95 per month.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thank you all for your help - Joanna your knowledge is invaluable and I am seriously considering the suggestions made.
I too love VisitingTenerife.com and think that is my choice also, (though I dont suppose it will make my humble little apartments anywhere near as stunning as debk's portfolio in Portugal - I wish) In fact I have printed off your reply in a previous thread about domains and registries etc so I can absorb it slowly!
There are so many helpful people who own such beautiful properties on this forum that I cant ever envisage the need to use a travel agent or buy a package hol for myself in the future.