Setting Google Analytics Goals

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Setting Google Analytics Goals

Post by Nemo »

What the title says really! How do I set GA goals? I've heard it talked about and clearly it would be very useful to tell me where my visitors are coming from and what keywords etc they use, but HOW (in plain english please :wink: ) do I do it?
tavi

Post by tavi »

haven't a clue!

I have analytics and can barely understand a word of my "metrics" :oops: :D

was looking at it today and wondering if they really need to use the terms they use...can't they just put it in plain English? This sentence for example ............You can also compare metrics in the graph and use the interactive table below the pie chart to see different top-level metrics for the most commonly viewed visitor dimensions...........

or is it just me?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

tavi wrote:
or is it just me?
No :(
tavi

Post by tavi »

:D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You need an enquiry form on your website as it is this that GA tracks. There are quite a few tutorials on how to set up GA goals, and this one is more or less the same as the one I used. You track the url that appears after sending the enquiry (for me thankyou.php). GA can't track emails, so if you just have a mailto: hyperlinks you can't use it.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ah thanks LV. Fallen at the first hurdle, so it will have to wait for the new website then. :(
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I'm very interested in this particular subject.

Can this be done with a PIMS booking enquiry form, does anyone know? (Windy... are you about? I'm guessing if it's something that can be done with PIMS, you're probably already doing it. ;))
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.