Warning respiratory illness sufferers of past/ongoing works

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Wonkeye

Warning respiratory illness sufferers of past/ongoing works

Post by Wonkeye »

A hypothetical query about how much time should have elapsed after carrying out any works, even if only a bit of painting, for you no longer to feel a moral duty to warn about?

The background: we have been consistently warning bookers about extension work going on next door. One lady just on the point of booking had to back down, very nicely and politely and expressing great regret, as her stay would be part of a recovery from a longstanding respiratory illness. A lost booking for us, but if this had been in a peak period, we'd obviously have felt far worse. It happens.

The question now striking us: what if we ourselves had happened to have been doing a spot of painting a week or two before this lady had been due to arrive, she might well have suffered far more than from building work going on next door. As we don't allow pets, it would never have occurred to us to ask anyone if they might have respiratory problems, allergies, or whatever else! How far should you go? Everyone has the odd bit of paintwork to do. Isn't it up to the enquirer/sufferer to do the questioning, except in cases like the above-mentioned, one-off construction works where the owner has the duty of informing?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Interesting question. I suspect many of us will slap a bit of emulsion over a mark on a wall at changeover time, which will leave a bit of a smell (not much for a small patch, and gone quickly) but it doesn't contain lots of VOC's (whatever that stands for - volatile nasties).

So maybe that's a good check - if something has a high VOC content, it probably needs a day or two before letting guests in; likewise substances that take a while to cure, such as silicone sealant, and which give off fumes in the process.

Oh dear, something else to worry about! :roll:

I've just had another thought. You can usually find the COSHH information (H&S stuff) for most products online. Maybe that gives a guide, and we ought to be discharging our duty by following it.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I applaud all efforts to warn guests of unusual circumstances, but I also think that if guests have any specific allergies or other unusual conditions its their responsibility to check with us first.

We're at the top of a hill, do we have to ask people if they suffer vertigo ? Where does it end ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I understand where you're coming from, Richard, though I think it all comes down to the type of 'risk' we're talking about. For example. I don't consider myself to have a specific allergy or condition, but I can't tolerate being in an environment where oil paint has very recently been used - get flu type symptoms and feel like - well, you get the picture. Once it's fully dry - which means 2 or 3 days at least to release the worst of its gas - it's okay.

BUT, it's not something I would ever think to warn an accommodation provider about, probably because I would assume that said provider wouldn't use fume-y things right before my arrival. So I think Greenbarn's approach is probably the right one - looking at the VOC content and any other sort of off gassing (my worst experience was with a new, natural latex mattress which off-gassed for nearly 2 weeks) and leaving an appropriate gap after works or whatever before guests.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Greenbarn wrote:So maybe that's a good check - if something has a high VOC content, it probably needs a day or two before letting guests in; likewise substances that take a while to cure, such as silicone sealant, and which give off fumes in the process.
So I suppose the safest thing is to complete doubtful jobs at least 2 days before a guest is coming. I haven't found a convenient-to-consult website to check VOC content yet. Not that it's been top of my list!