Hardly any bookings this year - What can I do??

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Tractorboy

Hardly any bookings this year - What can I do??

Post by Tractorboy »

Our bookings are down this year after 3 good years - we are on 3 websites and in tourist board book as a line entry only. Any pointers to good sites for Norfolk Uk? Many thanks
Ar yer orrite bor!
Mimmsy

Bookings are down in Cyprus

Post by Mimmsy »

I'm having the same problem this year but I think its due to the fact that I've been too busy to work the business. The secret is to work, work, work, bookings won't come if you don't work for it! Too much competition especially in Cyprus
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hi Tractorboy,
Sorry to hear that you are down on your bookings.

Mimmsy is right about the work work work thing unfortunately, :( Not that I am suggesting you don't.

I've just had a look at your web site and your place looks lovely. The only suggestion I can make is that your main picture looks a bit cold. Could this be replaced with a sunnier photo? I think bright and sunny is always better in attracting people.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi Tractorboy, I agree with Marion, the pic looks a bit cold and wintry. You could edit it a bit to make it look better, but a sunny shot would be preferable. Apparently punters don't like clouds.

:D Helen
cromercrabholiday

Re: Hardly any bookings this year - What can I do??

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Tractorboy wrote:Our bookings are down this year after 3 good years - we are on 3 websites and in tourist board book as a line entry only. Any pointers to good sites for Norfolk Uk? Many thanks
We are just up the road in Overstrand and the season seems much like the last two. We are on
http://www.stocksoftware.ltd.uk
http://www.selfcatering-directory.co.uk
http://www.the-cottage-collection.co.uk

I've just checked our booking records and only one booking this year came from any of the above (cottage collection). All the rest were return guests or found us by searches. As we are very much a family-friendly house with a downstairs bedroom and bathroom for grandparents, we have had some success with Mamas and Papas and NCT mags. Parish magazines are a cheap way of advertising and if you get one happy guest, they will draw in others.

I worked hard to make our website tell a story and give potential guests a view as to how they might spend their holiday. Probably not up-to-date at the moment, but I change it by season, stressing the central heating as the autumn approaches. Yours seems a bit bare to me, but everybody has their own views.

The last couple of years we've been occupied almost exactly six months - how does that compare. Your prices look about right for the area.

Good luck

John
ces

Re: Bookings are down in Cyprus

Post by ces »

Hi I havea cottage in the Dales and May is usually a good month but it has been really poor this month. In fact future bookings are not great. I have it with an agent but I am considering using one of the villa owner websites to supplement the bookings. It will mean more work but the other alternative is another agent. Does anyone know of a good villa owners website - which one is the best - least cost?
Ces
andy

Post by andy »

Two answers - 1) has the level of repeat bookings fallen? If so, consider why. 2) Advertising. There are so many web sites and books etc out there it's hard to know which ones are effective. I would love to know which ones are favourite with other forum members.
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

andy wrote: Advertising. There are so many web sites and books etc out there it's hard to know which ones are effective. I would love to know which ones are favourite with other forum members.
I agree that the proliferation of sites makes it confusing for owners and also dilutes the market for renters.

I've had several comments from owners who feel that they need to list of more sites just to get the same level of bookings.

In a similar vein, I suspect many of the rental sites are finding it harder to attract and retain paying owners to list on their sites. My guess is that we will see some consolidation in the coming years ( along the lines of the WVR acquisitions of recent times), although that may not be much consolation in the short term.

Regards,

Kevin