Mowing a steep slope

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Sammy

Mowing a steep slope

Post by Sammy »

Hi,

It's about that time when I need think about mowing the garden at our let for the first time. We purchased it in November, so I have got away with not having to do it yet!

I need some advice on the best petrol mower for mowing a steep slope. Our lawn has a slope which is about 35degrees and is some distance from the house so a petrol mower is the only way to go. A petrol hover mower doesn't collect the grass, so I prefer not to go down the route of having to start raking the grass cuttings. Has anyone any experience of using a standard self propelled petrol mower? Are they OK on such a slope?

The lawn is too large to strim. It would take ages - and then there's the raking the cuttings problem again!

Thanks !!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Harold Stone wrote:
The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing.
In the Dordogne, 35 degrees is practically level ground! Any good quality self-propelled rotary mower with a grass bag should cope comfortably with that. I've got a couple of extensive steep slopes here (60-70 degrees) and I manage these with a combination of a rugged three -wheeled French rotary mower and a big strimmer. Have to pick up the grass though!
Jim
Charollaise

Post by Charollaise »

We never collected the cuttings... mowed very regularly and just left them in situ - several years of doing it to positive effect. Googled to see what I could come up with to back this up - list is lengthy -

http://www.google.fr/search?client=safa ... 0QWH0MCnBw

If you do decide to go that route - then perhaps a Flymo-on-a-rope?!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm trying mulching this year instead of cutting - so far so good, but then the growth isn't much at the moment. The test will be when all my gîtes are occupied in a couple of weeks time - I don't want a lot of grass in the houses. But I know it is better for the grass to mulch cut frequently and not too short. I have had a lot of moss grow in the last few years because I have always cut the grass too short.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

I was watching the grass being mowed on a very steep bank around the castle y'day and the gardener was standing at the top with a long rope around the handle of the mower.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Here in the states, most mowers have a "mulching" option -- basically there's an extra blade, and a gate on the discharge chute, so the grass cuttings stay under the mower to get really chopped up and you just leave them on the lawn.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

One (long-term) risk with mowing slopes is that the lubricating oil in a four-stroke engine might not drain to the engine's oil pump as it should. While there is reduced oil flow there will be increased engine wear. That risk is eliminated by using a two-stroke engine as, I think, is typically fitted to a Flymo.

The greatest short-term risk is ending up underneath the mower, hence using a mower on a rope from a position of relative safety.

+1 for the mulching option.
starcana

Post by starcana »

If you're looking for a sitty on my Oh has just got a Grillo - It's a sort of ATV with lawn mower under it. It's very fast, low centr of gravity so save and made specifically for slopey land. He's very pleased with it. Italian made.
starcana

Post by starcana »

Centre and safe, of course. Bloody iPad!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

la vache! wrote: I have had a lot of moss grow in the last few years because I have always cut the grass too short.
Same here LV. I've just renovated and re-seeded one gite's lawn because it had become about 75% moss. But, when the grass is growing like Billy-O in April-June, before the heat slows it down, cutting it short is the only way to avoid having to mow on days other than changeovers.
Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I can't mow on changeover days anyway Jim - I'm too busy doing the cleaning to mow the grass too. I hate disrupting guests, but I don't have a choice - I try and do it when everyone is out but that is difficult with 3 different gites and my work. But no-one has ever complained and it only takes around an hour and a half.