Strange 2012 so far!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Absolutely dire here too. Last year Feb was our best month for taking bookings - this year we´ve converted two (possibly 3) over three properties - and last was also our best year overall :?
If not now, when?
Val

forward bookings

Post by Val »

I haven't had any bookings for a while either; I would really like to see some bookings coming for April, as I've only got the fourth week of April booked at present. In total I have 22 weeks booked so far this year, but I agree it has gone a bit quiet lately - perhaps we 'll see a last minute rush to book for Easter?
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

It does seem to have gone a bit quiet on the booking front.

Must work out the stats 8)
Andy Smith
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Yes we managed a small flurry, booked for the next month with bits and pieces around a 2 week booking then one week in August booked and that's it!
We have also stopped getting google organic visits to our website .... all a bit odd.

As someone said on another tread, this is not for the faint hearted!!!
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

After a very quiet February, which could be down to the fact that most of summer is already booked, we've just had another flurry - the last full week between march and August has now gone, plus a little gap in May, and now two weeks in September, all in the last three days. It's our first year so am really pleased!

Hang on in there, they're coming! :D
NewquayGetAway

Post by NewquayGetAway »

lasourcetranquille wrote:After a very quiet February, which could be down to the fact that most of summer is already booked, we've just had another flurry - the last full week between march and August has now gone, plus a little gap in May, and now two weeks in September, all in the last three days. It's our first year so am really pleased!

Hang on in there, they're coming! :D
We've had a sudden influx of bookings recently too - looks like people are taking their time but like you say are coming good in the end :)
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

There's no doubt that the March booking rate is down in proportion to last year.

Bookings for larger high quality cottages are on target and will be well over for the first quarter. Couples and threes are down. Occupy 4 has level pegged.

If the short notice trend over the previous years is continuing, then these short term trends are nothing to worry about.

There is some argument that self catering is taking from the B&B market. Others say that UK self catering will benefit from families deciding not to go to long haul or less economic holidays abroad. Then again, these people could substitute their holiday in the West Indies for one in France, Spain or less expensive European destinations.

New patterns do make for some uncertainty. We have noticed more calls from people before they arrive at their cottages indicating that many more are new to this type of holiday.

June could be well 40% up on last year. May will be much the same and August and September are booking up well. Certainly, there is no reason to feel this year is going to be any less of a success for many owners.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

charles cawley wrote:We have noticed more calls from people before they arrive at their cottages indicating that many more are new to this type of holiday.
Makes sense Charles but it's still an interesting trend.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Since our web site changeover, a couple of strange things have happened.

The invalid click rate on our adwords has soared from an average of about 10-15% to above 40%. From our web logs, it appears two new cottage operators are sitting there clicking on ads hoping to do as much damage as possible. We have traced the IP numbers from the logs and it is interesting that both have 1980s decor and have failed to keep up to date and we shall request that these numbers to be excluded from our statistics.

There is a huge resistance to change. It is not so much related to a lack of funds but, more, to a simple unwillingness to admit that the markets that have carried some UK cottage owners for so long are evaporating.

The fashions of 30 years ago have moved with one major demographic who are now retired and these people are the first ones to simply stop taking holidays when things get tough.

The younger ones not on fixed or declining incomes are now the the market to cater for. Even here, they are becoming very cash conscious but they will not tolerate out of date decoration and clashing flowery patterns.

This trend will continue. Tired cottages will either be driven out of the market completely or they will have to modernise. In many cases, 75% of the change can be done at a relatively low cost but I am still going out to see bright pink walls, framed prints of Paris in spring, chintz and riots of tired flowery sofas with clashing cushions in different sizes, patterns and colours.

Not so long ago I visited a VB 5 star Laura Ashley (1980s style) throughout complete with the prints and just up to quality furniture with a riot of ginger pine.

All this coming from a agent may seem a bit off... but we genuinely do want things to improve and not just for us.
No web-site for now.
Speyside Steve

Post by Speyside Steve »

We are quiet after Easter until the end of May. We were fully booked last April/May. The school holidays are still booked up, though.

I think this backs up what Charles says that the 'discretionary' holidays are being cut back, possibly by retired customers who can take holidays outside the peak season.

I am interested in the attitudes to old-fashioned decor. It feels like there is no premium for being modern & up to date (the market is very price sensitive at the moment so little opportunity to charge more) - it is just that you won't go out of business (and hopefully get good word of mouth recommendations)! It will be interesting to see how this pans out as the economy recovers.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Have things picked up for you?

Across 7 rentals the 3 month stats bookings came from:-

41 HL
11 Repeats
4 Website
3 Free Listing
5 Other

Still 12.5% down on this time last year mainly due to repeats not repeating.

We are taking short breaks up to July and larger deposits just in case.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

We have also noticed about a 10% fall in bookings in proportion to member numbers from last year.

Lucky for us the larger cottages have seen an increase in current and advance bookings. From an agent's point of view we are, so far, on target for annual revenue. Before we get too conceited, our advertising costs have risen by about 20% in for the first three months compared to last year but this burst of higher pay per click bidding is, now, falling away.

From member booking reports (we get these so we block off our calendars to avoid double bookings) this weekend 31 March 7 1 April has been exceptionally quiet.

Short notice bookings are gradually picking up but the real rush has yet to start. April will be well down in proportion, by as much as 35-40%. May could be slightly down. June will be more, in proportion to last year.. we hope by as much as 35%. July still looks slightly down. August and September, so far, look slightly better.

It has always been a bit of an art predicting these things; the current economic environment is making things very difficult to plan in business. We usually have a good idea, by now, what is going to happen but, now, it seems everything is up in the air.

Gossip has indicated that agencies more dependent on the older guests (the brochure market) are suffering quite badly. This tallies with the elderly cutting back more quickly being mainly on fixed and often, declining incomes.

I suppose, what I am trying to say, is that if you have seen a fall off in bookings, it's not you, it's the market. If your bookings are going up, you could be doing something very right.
No web-site for now.
lorca

Post by lorca »

charles cawley wrote: the current economic environment is making things very difficult to plan in business. We usually have a good idea, by now, what is going to happen but, now, it seems everything is up in the air.
... nothing to add....
:?
If not now, when?
Jeaves

Post by Jeaves »

Speyside Steve wrote:We are quiet after Easter until the end of May. We were fully booked last April/May. The school holidays are still booked up, though.

I think this backs up what Charles says that the 'discretionary' holidays are being cut back, possibly by retired customers who can take holidays outside the peak season.

I am interested in the attitudes to old-fashioned decor. It feels like there is no premium for being modern & up to date (the market is very price sensitive at the moment so little opportunity to charge more) - it is just that you won't go out of business (and hopefully get good word of mouth recommendations)! It will be interesting to see how this pans out as the economy recovers.
We have April to end of May very quiet too. Very unusual, especially for May. We set our prices for these earlier months same as last year but it seems visitors to our listings are going for cheper alternatives this year maybe.

Mid-June to 25th August we're virtually booked up which is the norm.

We've just been accepted for Gites-de-France but would like feedback asap if anyone can. Also PPC for short notice bookiings and Sept so reading up on very indepth advice on another thread on this blog.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

No complaints on bookings here for 2012 (or 2013) either, despite a slight increase in prices.
I only know owners leaving G de F. For me they seem very expensive for very little return. Their way of operating and marketing hasn't kept up with technology at all.