People who want to pay on arrival

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
CarolineH

People who want to pay on arrival

Post by CarolineH »

I have just had two last minute bookings from French families, both of whom have put up a fight about paying the whole rental cost in advance of their arrival.

I thought that I'd lost one of them over the discussion, in which I explained that balances are normally due eight weeks before (booking was for 21 April) and she said that they had been renting gites for many years and had never been asked to pay more than a deposit before arrival. "What will happen if one of our children goes into hospital" - I explained that this was exactly the issue :roll: That I run this business as my only income and can't afford to turn other people down unless I am sure to have rented the week out. I suggested that they take out travel insurance, but they have not done this "We will take the risk".

I have stuck by my guns, but am concerned that I have created bad feeling before their holiday begins.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've always taken payment on arrival from French guests, but this year am adopting the G de F approach of asking for the balance payment 30 days before arrival. No-one has queried it. If those are your Ts and Cs you should stick to them.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Absolutely, keep to your T&Cs. I have had several French guests over the year's and only one disputed payment 6 weeks before but still did pay on time.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I have a friend not too distant from my gite complex who took a deposit on a two week booking last July on his gite and allowed the clients to pay on arrival. They didn't turn up. He was concerned that they had had an accident on route or had got lost. When he eventually made contact after a couple of days, they had decided to go somewhere else for their holiday and took the hit on the 10% deposit they had paid. They never thought to contact him as "we didn't think it would be a problem"
My friend could have booked the two weeks out over and over. So he lost the thick end of £1500.
The moral is not to be so trusting of clients that you have never met before.
Dotty

Re: People who want to pay on arrival

Post by Dotty »

CarolineH wrote:
I thought that I'd lost one of them over the discussion, in which I explained that balances are normally due eight weeks before ........... and she said that they had been renting gites for many years and had never been asked to pay more than a deposit before arrival.

I have stuck by my guns, but am concerned that I have created bad feeling before their holiday begins.
I had exactly this situation with a late booking Christmas rental - they didn't want to pay anything up front. They did agree to go ahead with the T&Cs and sent a bank transfer but I too was worried about bad feeling.... but it went alright - and they left a (mostly) favorable on-line review saying they would be back.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Dotty wrote: I had exactly this situation with a late booking Christmas rental - they didn't want to pay anything up front. They did agree to go ahead with the T&Cs and sent a bank transfer but I too was worried about bad feeling.... but it went alright - and they left a (mostly) favorable on-line review saying they would be back.
Thanks, Dotty - that makes me feel better. My (french) OH was listening to my worries last night and he told me that I take a risk with each new guest that turns up (he really knows how to console, doesn't he :roll: ) but generally they all turn out fine.

Fingers crossed!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I take 50% upfront for the French and the rest on arrival, but I too am thinking of changing as my New Year guests didn't appear and I never managed to get hold of them, and so get the missing 50% - 450€.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've only had had 2 no shows in 10 years with French renters, not exactly no shows as they did cancel in advance, but not early enough for me to re-let. I find generally that the French are too "radin" to lose their deposit with no holiday except in exceptional circumstances, but I've decided now that unless they are repeats to take the balance a month before arrival, just to make sure. As Gites de France do.
NewquayGetAway

Post by NewquayGetAway »

CarolineH wrote:I have just had two last minute bookings from French families, both of whom have put up a fight about paying the whole rental cost in advance of their arrival.

I thought that I'd lost one of them over the discussion, in which I explained that balances are normally due eight weeks before (booking was for 21 April) and she said that they had been renting gites for many years and had never been asked to pay more than a deposit before arrival. "What will happen if one of our children goes into hospital" - I explained that this was exactly the issue :roll: That I run this business as my only income and can't afford to turn other people down unless I am sure to have rented the week out. I suggested that they take out travel insurance, but they have not done this "We will take the risk".

I wouldn't take the risk, if they don't pay on arrival yes they loose their deposit but you will lose out more.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Paul G wrote: When he eventually made contact after a couple of days, they had decided to go somewhere else for their holiday and took the hit on the 10% deposit they had paid. They never thought to contact him as "we didn't think it would be a problem"
My friend could have booked the two weeks out over and over. So he lost the thick end of £1500.
The moral is not to be so trusting of clients that you have never met before.
Another moral is that if you are taking a deposit and allowing people to pay on arrival, make sure the deposit is big enough to make them think twice about losing it! I would not take less than 25% and even then I have a minimum in the event that it is a low season booking of €250.

I have always taken money on arrival if required - most of our guests are from France and Spain. Many people have been scared off paying in advance by the scams that have been widely covered in the media. My T&Cs say balance is due a month in advance or 'with prior agreement' on arrival. This offer of payment on arrival seems to reassure them that we actually exist and since I introduced it, there seem to be fewer wishing to pay on arrival.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We always expect the balance to be paid 8 weeks in advance and have never been asked to accept payment on arrival. If the booking is made in the 8 weeks to due date then the full payment is payable then. Never had a problem with anyone. I would just get a bit twitched wondering if they are going to turn up or not.
lorca

Post by lorca »

We often take the balance on arrival with French and Spanish guests, as it tends to be the custom. We too have only had a couple of cancellations, and they have probably been significantly outweighed by the extra bookings. I agree about taking a decent deposit though.
If not now, when?
juliew

Post by juliew »

We are only ever asked to take the balance on arrival by French guests. I always stick to my T&Cs and they back down. It is too much of a risk to wait until there is a "no show" for us to find a replacement booking.
JulieR

Post by JulieR »

Just had the same thing, potential guests enquiring then querying that payment is paid in full, prior to their stay. Said they didn't mind paying the deposit (we ask for 20%) and pay the balance on arrival. Sent them a copy of our T&C's saying that payment must be received as stated and they came back saying they have decided not to book. We have more than 50% French bookings and in 7 years this is the first to even ask to pay on arrival. It was not a large amount so will not be losing any sleep over it
Julie :)
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I don't actually have many French guests and I too ask for the balance ahead of arrival, but, unless it has changed recently, the law in France is that the balance is due on the handover of keys and not before. Your guests arriving from France are probably used to that.

I get around this by saying I'll accept cash on arrival but cheques or credit card payments must be in advance, so they have cleared by the time the guests arrive.
Lounging on the lily pad...