Pool fencing regulations France

For anything to do with the garden and pool
KathyG

Pool fencing regulations France

Post by KathyG »

Have just come back from 5 weeks of slave labour in France getting ready for the season. Don't think I can do this again..... :?

The day before leaving :roll:, we fired up the pool alarm (new last year) and after a day of trying everything, finally concluded that it wasn't going to play ball. In the short term I think we're going to have to pay out for yet another one to get us through the next few weeks if nothing else. But longterm I feel we'd be better off with a fence encircling the pool deck.

I haven't looked at the law/regulations yet - are there any published in English anywhere? But does anyone have any recommendations, pros and cons of which type to fit, if indeed we have a choice?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Kathy,
If you want something quick, I have my old pool alarm that works and I don't need any more because of the new abri I have (I used to remove the abri completely in summer and needed the alarm for that period).
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ooh that might work Susan, thank you very much. Thing is, I think we'd need the same version as the one that's just failed as it's all set up for that, it's the Aqualarm Sensor Premium. Would that by any chance be the same one? Although if it was something like our old one with a touchpad instead of the magnet arrangement I think that could work too......
Kathy
sueb

Post by sueb »

Hi, Please see below:

www.afnor.fr

Pool Security Laws as I see it.

The Pool Security law, was bought in force to try and protect young children up to the age of 6 from drowning in private swimming pools, it applies to all in ground or partially in ground swimming pools and has been implemented in 3 stages.

Stage 1: May 2004, all swimming pools used in conjunction with a rental property must have pool security.

Stage 2: January 2005, all new swimming pools must be fitted with a security device from the moment they are filled with water.

Stage 3: January 2006, all swimming pools must have a security device fitted.

Sanctions for not complying with the law can include up to a 40,000€ fine, but in the event of a fatality in a non complying pool the owner is potentially guilty of manslaughter regardless of circumstances. It is solely the pool owners responsibility to ensure that not only is a security device fitted, but also that it is functioning properly at all times.

Four types of security advice are included in the law.

1. Security cover, like a roller blind that rolls across the pool manually or electrically and when closed forms a solid barrier to prevent anyone falling in the water.

Pros: When closed, these devices render your pool completely safe. They also double as a thermal cover so will keep the pool warmer and you have no worries about winterisation.

Cons: Once you open the cover the clock is ticking and your pool is unprotected, from that point until you close it, anytime the pool is left unattended, even for a moment, technically you are breaching the law and in the result of an accident might be in the same situation as an unprotected pool. Also expensive to install and impossible for odd shaped pools.

2. Conservatory type pool house; comes in various forms, allows the pool to be used with the cover in place or opened during better weather.

Pros: All the pros of a roller cover but allows you to swim and still keep your pool security in place.

Cons: Like a roller cover once open your pool is unprotected and technically should not be left unattended. Will probably cost you more than the swimming pool.

3. Pool Alarm; comes in two different forms, either;

a: In pool Alarm, these have a sensor that registers when anything larger than a small ball enters the water and sounds an alarm either poolside or remotely at the house.

Pros: Relatively cheap. Quick and easy to install without spoiling the pool environment. Gives a positive indication of a potential accident in progress.

Cons: Can be difficult to set up and have proved technically unreliable, batteries can go flat with no warning. Regular false alarms given. You will also need a complying winter cover to remain legal all year round. Requires two alarms for larger pools(10x5m plus) and will not work in pools with a beach or vanishing edge

b: Perimeter Alarm, these are a number of posts that you place around your pool. A laser and a system of mirrors creates an invisible fence, that sound an alarm if the beam is broken.

Pros: Quick and easy to install without spoiling the pool environment. Gives a positive indication of a potential accident in progress.

Cons: Still quite expensive, pet owners will really needs a normal fence as well otherwise animals will constantly set off the alarm.

4. Fence/wall and child proof Gate(self closing for rental property). Various types available, either metal, UPVC or nylon mesh, the latter is getting quite cheap now (although dubious quality means it will need replacing quite quickly).

Pros: Offers a permanent solid barrier all year round for your pool. A wall, with a complying gate, is the one legal DIY option open to you.

cons: Expensive and can be unsightly, spoils the view etc. It has also been said, but not proved or substantiated, that physical barriers breed complacency and consequent lack of parental vigilance, ultimately resulting in more accidents. Natural materials such as wood are not allowed and you may not grow anything on or near a pool fence.

Whichever, security device you choose it must carry the relevant certificate of conformity to prove it complies; the only exception to this is in relation to walls which may form some or all of the pool enclosure, as long as they are flat, vertical and a minimum 1.1m high.

A hedge, however mature is not acceptable and wood is effectively ruled out as it is required to be completely free of knots.

Existing winter pool covers do not comply and do not work correctly in conjunction with an alarm.

Openings directly from a house including windows, if forming part of a complying pool enclosure must also comply and have childproof latches or bars.

A pool enclosure must be a minimum of 1m from the pool and must be reasonably close to the pool, consider that every part of the pool should be visible from every position inside the enclosure. It is not acceptable to have the entire boundary of a property used as the enclosure, although a part of it could be used, assuming it complies.

Well that’s about it, expert opinion is divided on the best option, but they all agree that several layers/combinations of security is best and that nothing is a substitute for parental vigilance.

The standards are NF P 90-306 for fences. 307 for Alarms 308 for covers 309 for Abris.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Brilliant Sue, very clear!

Our problem is now sorted for the moment, thanks to La Vache, :D , I have bought her spare pool alarm and it's working fine. :D

Will probably have to go down the pool enclosure route at some point though :(
Kathy
Ju

Post by Ju »

Sue b

Very comprehensive, however I disagree on 3 points.

1 the major con for me of the alarms is that they warn of the event happening rather than prevention. If you are not very quick to react to the alarm then you will be too late. this means to comply you can never be out of earshot, go to the toilet, have a shower or go to sleep (not to mention leaving the house to go shopping)

2 DIY fences are permitted, they simply don't meet the NF so can't be sold as a pool fence. There are norms for lots of things, it doesn't mean you can't DIY

3 Hard covers do not necessarily keep your pool warm. on investgating this option we realised that lots of people leave their covers off during the day so the sun can get to them and warm them up.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Abri covers (the greenhouse type) keep your pool a lot warmer. I get at least 8°C more with mine than I do with a bubble cover. It may be pushed off in the day, but it keeps a lot more heat in at night. There is no way my pool would be warm enough to swim in at this time of year were it not for the abri cover.
But I agree, they are very expensive.
helene

pool fence

Post by helene »

.Others have identified appropriate systems so I am just commenting on my experience and preferences. Although I would prefer not to have a fence it just seemed the only system where we did not have to worry, ie what if the alarm broke while we were not there, alarm only alerts you to a problem while the fence does its best to prevent it. We chose the type that let in most light although after 8 years of winters it has started to get a build up of algae. I have landscaped it so it does look okay - certainly our guests seem to prefer the fence and automatic gate system and even though we now have a sliding abri cover we will not take ours down.
Helene
Ju

Post by Ju »

LV I didn't mean the Abri covers, I meant the flat solid ones that retract onto a roller. As in Sue's No 1
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We have one: it's referred to as "volet" style due to its similarity to a Venetian blind. Ideally installed at the same time as the pool as they can then disappear underground when the pool is in use.

We had to have ours fitted after the event. When rolled up it obviously draws the eye a bit, but in your position Kathy, if you have to reconsider at some future point this is the one I'd go for even though they are expensive - you have wonderful views and an enclosure would draw the eye even more.

Here's ours in place:

Last edited by Giddy Goat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ju wrote:LV I didn't mean the Abri covers, I meant the flat solid ones that retract onto a roller. As in Sue's No 1
Ah OK, sorry. I can understand why the roller covers don't give any extra heat retention value.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

How expensive Jane? :shock:
Kathy