YHM's ironing board

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Mountain Goat

YHM's ironing board

Post by Mountain Goat »

As the new kid on the block, I know I'm going to put my hoof in it, and not sure where to post this.

YHM looks good, in its concept etc. and it's good to see an example of WordPress.

But what on earth is that corpse-on-the-ironing-board image? It just seems to clash with everything about the site, or am I being dumb and it's an in-joke with you lot?

If it's a joke then at least have a male ironer.....it's not really a girl thing.
Mystifed.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear Mystified Mountain Goat,

The rolling pictures are a sort of "before and after" theme.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ah, got it.

I was seeing too much into it - I thought it was the owner - I seem to spend my life ironing duvets, sheets etc. - and I hadn't realised that the world is divided into those who expect ironed bed linen and those who've never heard of the concept.

This isn't the place to bring up the subject of nylon sheets is it? Do they still exist?
Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I couldn't work it out either - they really should be labelled before and after!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Re Nylon sheets. There was a factory here (near Newcastle), Brenford Nylons that made them, everyone knew someone who worked there and got cheap sheets. Unfortunately mam knew someone there too so we suffered static and all of the usual nylon sheet problems thru the 70's :roll:

Oh, I've just remembered. When I was a kid I used to love flanelette sheets. We had some which had a candy stripe on them. Getting into a newly made bed on a Sunday night with clean (flannelette) jarmies on was lovely. We always had a "candlewick" bedspread on top too. Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh, yes, the memories. I remember getting out of a nylon sheeted bed in some eccentric French hotel, and the static shock was so powerful that I thought I'd caught my toe in a mains socket.

There's a shop in Almaty with nothing but if anyone's pining for them. They're all the rage there. Details on request.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Goat, and a belated welcome to LMH; I have been a bit slack lately, as I have been helping develop the YHM site. Just stuck my nose in briefly today and what a surprise to find I have company - maybe we're related!! Let's have a piccy of you! :D

Had a look at your chalet, which is lovely, and what superb views. You must be the world's first ski-ing goat!

I wish you luck with your website and letting. When you get a mo, have a look at this link (hope it works); I posted it on the forum a few months ago; it seems we have some very sensitive rellies in North America....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/faintinggoats.html
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hello Jane, thanks for the movie clip. I have to admit I found it a bit distressing. Was it for real?

Pic to follow, when I can wind up the digital....

Good luck with YHM, is it up and running yet? I understand the ironing-board, it doubles up as a prop for that pool shot. But what's up with the cross-dresser clutching a green hand-grenade?

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon May 01, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Mountain G; lovely to make your acquaintance; It's been somewhat lonely here up until now, and I've been getting a bit of stick from time to time, so it's great to have an ally at last.

Yes, the fainting goats are genuine. I agree, distressing on first sight, but quite extraordinary to see them pick themselves up within seconds and trot off again without a care in the world. As someone else posted at the time I first found this site, the presenters of the TV program who feature in the clip are almost as fascinating, in 'natural world' terms, as our little cuzzies.

YHM is up and running, and we are accepting applications from within LMH but have not 'gone public' with it yet. We hope you will join us, and are always looking for help too, since the company will be run entirely by its members. :D. Main areas of need are in fielding applications, and marketing, which will be the next major hurdle. Meanwhile, we ask all to continue with giving us feedback on the site, as it is not set in stone, and we are eager to take on board any criticisms.

That cross-dresser on the YHM home page is something else, isn't he! Wonder what he plans to target with his green hand grenade? Tax evaders?
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

Are there plans for a public launch of YHM for this summer season ?

I've had a look at the site and it looks like the number of properties listed is quite small : are you intending to limit the number or do you have plans to recruit more owners ?

Best wishes,

Kevin
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes Kevin, we are currently processing applications from LayMyHat members, and there is no limit to numbers. We expect to go public shortly. The site will continue to be refined meanwhile - and after we go public, in all likelihood. Feedback from visitors to the site is not only welcome therefore, but positively needed if we're to end up with an effective, successful model - so please, all you out there, keep the comments coming!

As Marcus said on his 'I Had a Dream' thread, the goal of YHM 'is not to list just the finest most luxurious properties, nor to list every property possible, but to welcome any properties, large or small, expensive or not, the owners of which demonstrate that they are genuinely concerned about providing a good holiday for their guests.' This sets us apart from most other listing sites. YHM is not profit driven and puts the guest first. So it follows that listing a property will actually be free for many advertisers, or at most, will cost 20 to 40 euros. All this is explained on the site.

The two requirements common to all applications is:

1) that of a personal (property) website; a simple web page would suffice, and help is at hand to talk people through getting this set up.

2) the ability to provide several guest references.

Full details are at http://yourholidaymatters.com/apply/YHM ... nform.html