Too many guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Palmsatthepass

Too many guests

Post by Palmsatthepass »

Hi.

This is a first for us. We booked our home for six adults, specified that in our reservation confirmation and rental agreement. The guests were going to be late arriving so we gave them the access key code and weren't here to greet them. Today we see them out the window (we live next door) and there are 6 adults (at least) and 4 children.

Our agreement says a maximum of 6 and our website says that the house maximum is 8.

What do you suggest we do? We haven't approached them yet, but we are very concerned. They will be here a week.

Thanks
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi, i think I'd be straight over there to see them all. You need to tell them thet they have exceeed the agreed no of guests. POint out the rental agreement and ask the extra guests to leave. If you have taken a security deposit, keep it as they have broken the agreement.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I think it would be very difficult to ask the extra ones to leave but I think you would not be unreasonable to say to them that you are very unhappy that they have exceeeded the maximum guest limit that you very clearly pointed out to them and that you will be keeping all (or as much as you think reasonable) of their deposit to cover any extra costs incurred by you.

Although we all do our best to make sure guests are aware of maximum capacity there is always someone who will do it anyway, I think it depends how you feel. If you think the extras should leave and you are prepared to tell them so,then do it, but if like most of us, you just can't bring yourself to do it, then you will have to go with the flow, keep the deposit and tell them that any other extra costs incurred by them because of the extra people will be down to them.

But it may be just for one night so it is worth approaching them and asking if the people you see are staying for the whole duration or are just visiting guests. And then take action accordingly.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Palmsatthepass

Post by Palmsatthepass »

Thanks for the advice. Of course, we are concerned that if we just ask them about the number of people staying and don't do anything about it, then they will trash the house before they leave... So unless a whole other batch of them show up, I think we are going to grit our teeth and wait til they leave.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Palmsatthepass wrote:we are concerned that ....they will trash the house before they leave...
That's a valid concern. If you decide the appropriate remedy is to ask them to leave, then I would ask all of them to leave, not just the extras. That's probably not going to happen, but you could also ask for them to pay for the extra people, and make sure it's very expensive, or next time, they will do the same thing to someone else. On balance and not knowing whether they may retaliate, I think I would rather bite the bullet and wait until they leave at the end of the week, then tell them exactly why they are losing 100% of their deposit, making sure they understand that they and their friends are not welcome back. And I really wouldn't care whether the extra people stayed for five minutes or the whole week, it's irrelevant. The agreement was for a certain number of people and they exceeded it without asking for your permission.

I would also keep a very close eye on them because this may not be the only thing in the agreement that they disrespect. In the circumstances, they have broken the trust and therefore you do not need to feel guilty that you may be encroaching on their space.

My 2 cents
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I agree with everything said so far. Here in Italy, you have to have authority to let out holiday houses and apartments, and ASL (sort of equivalent to H&S) have to visit and approve the accomodation. They stipulate the maximum no. of people that can stay, so it's a legal thing. It might be worth pointing out to your guests (even if the system isn't the same where you are) that their conduct nulifies any insurance you have and is probably illegal - of course you may want to do this is a polite way!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

....and another thing, the Finance police and carabinieri can stop by at any time to check that everyone is registered and that we are keeping to our license agreement.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
janny

Post by janny »

If the gulf is anything like Orlando then you can lose your licence for over occupancy and breaking fire regs,If it were me and my home I would go with my management people and police if needs be and ask them to leave -you will be quite within your rights.