Holiday Let in California?

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
davhill

Holiday Let in California?

Post by davhill »

Just musing here. Is running a holiday let (to live off and living locally to run it) in California...

(a) Permissible?
(b) Potentially Viable?
(c) Worthwhile?

My wife and I are UK-based at present but are researching a possible move. My wife has US citizenship.

Thanks,

David
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Hello David, you may want to check out the yahoo owners forum below for questions about specifics, I know we have California owners on it. California as a whole I don't believe could ban vacation rentals. Some cities or such can and may ban them in specific parts or whole cities so I think it would depend on where you are wanting to buy. It's an essential thing to research though! Worth a call to the city manager, ask your realtor to research, ask condo associations, neighborhood organizations, etc... wherever you are thinking about buying...

Here is the link to the other forum, hopefully it's o.k. to post here? Sorry to Paolo if it's not!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vacation_rentals/

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
davhill

Post by davhill »

Thank you very much for your reply, Wendy.This is an ongoing research project and is not being too fruitful so far. However, I'll follow up on the link you sent.

Thanks again,

David
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

You're welcome and a future welcome to the US! :)

I will tell you that Idaho is a very friendly business state, much lower taxes than California, actually most places will have lower taxes than them, except for New York, and other NE states...
If you have a choice in where you are coming.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)