Questions for anyone with a heated pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

CarolineH wrote:I have a heat pump, and an abri. When I started up the pool in mid-March I took some electricity readings and calculated the cost. With filtering only 24 hours a day, it cost 2.50€ for a 24 hour period and with the heat pump on (water was at 11°C, so it was working flat out) it cost an extra 3.50€ a day.

I don't think this is too much when my guests are paying 650€ a week.
I agree, although I think myy heat pump is a little more expensive than that and my prices not that much in April. However, as long as I'm fully booked in April and May then it is worth. There is just no point in turning the heat pump off one week and then back on the next week depending on if guests paid extra. Once my heat pump is on, it stays on until November.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Maybe I should consider only charging for heating from November-April. I only charge about 50% what other villas charge, just to help towards the extra costs and it makes my weekly fees about the same as the adjacent villas prices, as they dont charge for pool heating, or less pay less if they choose not to have heating.

Having looked at some villa rental sites, they state that most villas charge extra for heating £100-150 p/w. They also state that if the pool heater fails for any reason then the guest is only refunded up to the value they paid for heating, so this is also something to consider if I was not charging and had a problem again.

My guests asked for a full refund for their holiday as the pool heating wasnt working properly. It was working but there was also a fault. Daily pool temp readings average 25c when air temps were averaging 16c. The guest commented that thier local indoor pool was 32c!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I have to say that if the outside temperature is 15 then 25 is a very acceptable water temperature.
32 is not a manageable temperature and isn't the pool water more likely to "turn"? Maybe they were talking about an indoor pool?

In my T&Cs I have added that even when heated we will maintain a temp of 25-27 depending on outside temps.