Business Rates?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Sofachick1

Business Rates?

Post by Sofachick1 »

Hello all, I hope you can help me. We have been running for the last few years, but haven't really been taking it seriously, (which is why in some respects I feel that we are "starting out"!)

We have historically been getting about 18 weeks bookings per year, but Im considering whether to switch from council tax to business rates, which will enable us to take over 20 weeks bookings per year.

What is everyone's experience of this? Im nervous as it feels like a bureaucratic nightmare, and we cant really be sure of getting more than 20 weeks (though Im hopeful that we can now Im more actively involved trying to get bookings!) ((Mind you, if this year's bookings are anything to go by we will be lucky to get 10 weeks!!!))

I know there is small business rate relief, but there is a risk I suppose the government will no longer give this? Am I going to start something here I will live to regret? :?

Many thanks in advance! :D
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not really got time to spare to post much, but I am on business rates with NNDC and they are brilliant. Really helpful lady/ies that I have spoken to and really know their stuff compared to the council tax section! So if you have a conversation, then make sure it's with the BR section not the CT section!

They can probably give you an estimate of what the BR is going to be, which might help you decide and I wouldn't be frightened of picking their brains in the first instance.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hello & Welcome.
There is a tread about business rates here.
viewtopic.php?t=15063

My cottage is also in the NNDC area (Briston) - I'm a Norfolk lad living in exile in Surrey...

As I recall you only have to be available to book for 140 nights to qualify for business rates, not actually occupied. Or strictly speaking I think you have to register if you are available for 140 nights.

At the moment, business rate relief is 100% for small business (i.e. free) - but NNDC do then charge for rubbish collection.

Dave
Open for business.
Sofachick1

Post by Sofachick1 »

Thanks both for the reassurance - it doesn't seem so intimidating now somehow!

Dave, I will check out the thread (oops should have checked first before posting - sorry!). Looks as though I've misunderstood the rules then so I'm on the case to get business rates sorted!

I feel (another) learning curve on the way :lol:
rosebud

Business Rates

Post by rosebud »

I switched from council tax to business rates when I began letting just over a year ago as I understood I would qualify - as my cottage was available for letting for 20 weeks or more -and expected them to be cheaper.

They were a little cheaper - around 5 or 10% - and I wasn't charged for rubbish collection.

However this year I was delighted to find I could apply for a refund for last year and for the current financial year. This has been agreed - fantastic! Possible if the rateable value is less than £6000 I think. Mine is around £2000.
Nemo

Re: Business Rates

Post by Nemo »

rosebud wrote:
However this year I was delighted to find I could apply for a refund for last year and for the current financial year. This has been agreed - fantastic! Possible if the rateable value is less than £6000 I think. Mine is around £2000.
You took the words out of my mouth. I was just going to say that sofachick would be due a refund because of the rate relief. I think you can claim for up to two years.