Trip Advisor

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Happylady

Trip Advisor

Post by Happylady »

Was speaking at the weekend to a B&B owner about TA. He reckons you put yourself in the best position with this if you put your own page onto TA yourself rather than waiting for someone to post a review.

Wondered what thoughts are on this - not sure whether to go ahead or not :?:
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

If you join FlipKey or Holiday Lettings, you'll end up on TA, I think, unless you choose to opt out with HL. Personally, I find we get a fair number of enquiries via TA, but very little in the way of any bookings since most of the enquiries are for one or two nights (invariably in high season). I'm hopeful that one day it might bring something a bit more worthwhile but it does seem to be littered more with guests with a hotel/B&B mentality rather than a rental mentality IMHO.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you are a rental home owner it is different to B&B and hotels - you can't put yourself on TA unless you fall in the "Speciality Lodging' category. To do this you need to live on site and have more than one rental unit. If you don't fit this category, then you have to have a paid ad with either Flipkey or HL.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

la vache! wrote:If you are a rental home owner it is different to B&B and hotels - you can't put yourself on TA unless you fall in the "Speciality Lodging' category. To do this you need to live on site and have more than one rental unit. If you don't fit this category, then you have to have a paid ad with either Flipkey or HL.
thanks for this info - quandry solved!
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

We are listed on Trip Advisor as a specialty lodgings provider -- I think they already had us listed, I just "claimed" the listing. We don't get direct inquiries from that listing though, as we have not ponied up the subscription fee for a business listing, so there is no contact information published. Nonetheless, I would agree that, if you are eligible, it would be worthwhile establishing (or claiming) a TA listing, rather than waiting for somebody else to drive the creation of a listing with their review.

We also have a listing for one of our units on FlipKey (we have a total of 9 distinct units on our one property), still in the extension of our free trial period (if you threaten to cancel at the end of your free trial period, they'll extend the free trial). That has generated a few inquiries, one of which will turn into a booking (haven't received their deposit yet).
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

We have been on FK and TA since January, we have had only 1 enquiry it did lead to a booking.....then they didn't turn up :cry:
We have not had any hits to the website from them...(goes of to check if there is actually a link.....)