Dishwasher or luxury stainless sink station

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.

Do you consider a dishwasher to be an essential item?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

Buarthau

Dishwasher or luxury stainless sink station

Post by Buarthau »

[url]http://www.Buarthau.co.uk
Hi from wild and woolly N Wales!
We hope to be ready to let from Xmas 2006. We are offering the oldest part of our listed hill farm (sheep) set in 90 acres of secluded mountainous valley in Snowdonia. As a footpath goes past the front of property we expect to attract walkers. We do also aim, however, for an upmarket rental and have today taken delivery of a hot tub spa which will be situated in a detached small outbuilding in the orchard adjoining main house. Over many years of renting self-contained cottages/villas I have a good idea of the standard of finish/furnishing I want to offer (no 80s leftover furniture or 'bobbly' polycotton sheets). What I am concerned about is washing up.
We ourselves (we live in the barn conversions and rear extention) have a very well designed washing up station (referred to as Scullion's Cormer). It comprises a large double sink overmount stainess unit and a bespoke solid wood unit below. Three stainless plate racks and two glass fronted cupboards for mugs/glasses complete the area and it works very well for us. We have a dishwasher but have not used it for 7 years!
Our quandary is this - do we replicate the washing up station we have found to be the 'bees knees' for our family (with lots of washing up each day) or do we stretch our budget to a new dishwasher (ours does not allow a decor panel and is not pristine) for the new rental kitchen. When we offered the use of our own dishwasher to housesitters last year they did not use it correctly and ended up ruining an antique bread board which they put in. Will it be more trouble than it's worth?
A second query concerns dogs - we even have family members who swear their dogs are perfectly OK with sheep and hens only to find they chase our sheep and try to eat our chickens when given half the chance. What exactloy is a'well behaved dog' and how can we ensure the farm animnals and our own domestic pets do not suffer. Will be put off walkers by saying 'no dogs'?
Great forum (and website) - I have read every word of the several pages re linens....
GAYE
[/url]
Ju

Post by Ju »

If you are ailing in any way towards the high end of the market then I think a dishwasher is essential. In order to avoid problems with people putting the wrong things in, simply don't buy ANY kitchen ware for the property which cannot be dishwashed. If you really want a wooden chopping board make sure it is so big it won't fit in!

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How many people does your rental house sleep? I couldn't access your website. For 4 people (2 adults, 2 children, for example, I don't think it is an essential. Any more than this and I think it is essential - I often get comments from large groups about how glad they are there is a dishwasher!
Regarding the dogs - I understand your worries if you live on a farm with sheep. However, I would have thought that if you don't accept dogs you would be restricting your market? I would definitely want to bring my dogs along to go walking in your part of the world. You should make it clear that dogs have to be kept on leads wherever they are in the vicinity of sheep. I think most dog owners are so glad to find accommodation that accepts dogs, they do make an effort to keep to the rules.
gh

Post by gh »

Hi and welcome to LMH, it is a great site where I have learned so many letting tips.

As you are aiming to be up-market then guests would probibly expect a diswhasher. When we were renting I would never rent a place without a dishwasher, there was 5 of us, its mums holiday too.

Dont know too much about dogs on rental property, we dont allow them, unless guide dogs. I would have a concerns having dogs staying; at or near lambing time.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

A dishwasher is essential for me. Before we had our own place I always looked for properties with a dishwasher (even before we had our own). Who wants to spend time at the kitchen sink on holiday?

As regular visitors to Centerparcs I am pleased to see that even they are providing dishwashers now, I've spent years asking for them on my customer satisfaction survey!!

I make sure that all crockery etc I buy, is dishwasher safe and I would also recommend that you buy a basic model dishwasher which is more likely to be straight forward to use.
Martha

Post by Martha »

you have put an extra character in at the end of the link on your signature by mistake :wink:

I voted no without reading the post! Having read it, I agree, for a top end rental you would really expect one if it's for more than four people....
Buarthau

Post by Buarthau »

Thank you all so much for posting replies - and I think the dishwashers have it at the moment! It's strange really as we used a d/washer for years before we moved here but it has lain dormant now for nigh on 7 years. I obviously designed Scullion's Corner so well that my husband (who IS the washer up most times) finds it a delight to use. I guess I may have to factor in a lot more crockery too for a d/washer. I keep wondering whether I am being overoptimistic in thinking walkers/climbers are into luxury holiday lets - most of the ones round here are quite basic. Thanks also for the thoughts on dogs - as we are on site I guess we may be able to find a solution although my step daughter's dog was the one that initially led to our banning visiting dogs and she claimed he was 'no trouble with sheep' (Hmm). P.S. there are 3 beds (dbl, twin and bunk). Pity you couldn't see the website. Keep the comments flowing and THANKS EVERYONE.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Who wants to wash up on holiday? Essential IMHO :twisted:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Marion

Post by Marion »

Essential. Essential, Essential.

No matter how well a sink is designed who wants to wash up by hand - especially on holiday. Just make sure everything is dishwasher safe and don't buy anything that may be ruined. Also make sure it's a quiet one and always make sure you are well stocked up on dish washer tabs so that no one is tempted to put ordinary liquid in.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ooh, just thought of something else. You know lots of listing sites have searches where you tick what you think is esssential. I always tick the dishwasher box, so your place, no matter how lovely the sink, wouldn't even be considered in my search!! :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I'd love to see what a Scullion's corner lookks like. Any chance of a photo? It's something I've never heard of.

As a family of five, I would only book somewhere with a dishwasher. In a holiday home I wouldn't want to have fewer comforts than I have at home.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

If you are renting a property for the holiday market.....then hands down a dishwasher is essential.
If people want to wash-up by hand then it's up to them...we have actually had guests that have never used our dishwasher during their stay...how do I know? Because the dishwasher leaves a 'musty' smell when not used. I couldn't understand why..either they ate out all the time or preferred washing-up by hand. I personally would want a dishwasher if I were renting a self-catering property.
Buarthau

Post by Buarthau »

Thank you all so much for the help with the dishwasher query - I am now redesigning the kitchen (and the budget!) Kayley, I do have a pic of Scullion's Corner but cannot find how to insert it here - I could send you it by email if you contact me with an address? And many thanks to Firebug for spotting the howler re web address which I have now fixed. Cheers GAYE
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Crystal, to get rid of the musty smell, leave the door open when you're doing the change over, this lets the dampness evaporate and sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda in the bottom. This will disappear when the next load is washed
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Buarthau wrote:Thank you all so much for the help with the dishwasher query - I am now redesigning the kitchen (and the budget!) Kayley, I do have a pic of Scullion's Corner but cannot find how to insert it here - I could send you it by email if you contact me with an address? And many thanks to Firebug for spotting the howler re web address which I have now fixed. Cheers GAYE
I just read your web/blog- I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to more :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com