opinions needed please

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
dizza2560

opinions needed please

Post by dizza2560 »

I hope I have posted this in the correct forum, I wasn`t sure it qualified for website review.
As some of you may know we are letting our property in York through Sykes, marketing started in January with avaialability from the beginning of May.
Our entry has been updated with our internal photographs now and opinions on our property from the hatters would be greatly appreciated.
I should point out that I had a choice of 25 photos from the photographer, opted for the 10 photo package ( due to cost) but added an extra one to include 2 of the living room.
Also the garden is in the process of being overhauled ( doesnt look too bad, but not as it will in a couple of weeks).
The property decription has not been updated yet, to be added are - ability to have a superkingsize in the triple room - tv with dvd and freeview in the triple room - unlimited wi-fi - secure enclosed garedn - separate shower in the bathroom- books,dvds and games supplied.
so my questions are-

1) What do you think of the photos and decription
2) Is the pricing about right ? I ask because if you search for sleeps 8 within a 3 mile radius the other properties are more expensive. Plus when we go it alone at the end of the year I want to get the pricing right and Sykes determined the pricing before the renovation.
3) On my own website should I have more photographs?

We are on www.sykescottages.co.uk property ref 11299

Many thanks in advance. Must admit I am feeling nervous already waiting for the replies!
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I think the photos make the property look very inviting and having seen your pictures it makes me quite inclined to use a professional myself. I do think the rental prices are very low for what you're offering but this doesn't surprise me as having had Sykes round to my house at one point they would have under-priced mine by about 15-20% also. I think you will get very good occupancy but it may start to grate if you feel you should be getting more income from what looks like a very nice house in a tourist hotspot like York.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
dizza2560

opinions needed please

Post by dizza2560 »

Yorkshire lass
Thankyou for replying and your kind comments.
I was very pleased with the photographer and the resulting photos. I actually found her on the lay my hat services forum, her name is Tracy Bloxham from inside story photography.
You would be in her covered area as I know she covers Filey.I had 25 photos to choose from and wish I could have afforded to use them all.
Just thought the info might be useful to you :)
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I had a look at the Sykes page and the photos are excellent - they really do make the property look very impressive indeed. Everything looks completely immaculate and if I was looking for such a house in York I would definitely be interested. I agree with the other comment that the price seems very low. And that after you have finished the back garden you should get a new photo on the site as it is the only area which looks slightly unfinished at the moment.
dizza2560

opinions needed please

Post by dizza2560 »

Thankyou Jenny,
I must admit that I thought the price was low, maybe that is why the bookings have been good!
It is very pleasing to know that other people like what I have done with the property, it is always difficult to tell, as obviously it has been done to my taste but trying to predict what people want, plus it was furnished on a low budget, I think, of £6000.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hello Dizza!
You asked for more replies to this thread in the website reviews forum, but I can't see what more anyone could say about your advert as it is the standard page on Sykes cottages website so you can't change it. Once you launch your own website, I am sure you will get more responses.
(By the way, am I looking at the right one as it says it is in Acomb, not Filey - are they the sane place?)

If it's any help, I am viewing it from my iPhone having downloaded the Sykes app, so I can confirm that the advert works on the app :)
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

are they the sane place?
:D :D Is there such a place?
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
dizza2560

opinions needed please

Post by dizza2560 »

Acomb is a suburb of York, about 2 miles from the city centre.
I am aware that I cannot change the info on the Sykes website unless I put in a request to editorial.
It was more just wanting to know what people thought of the photos and what we have done with the place as our opinion is subjective.
Also whether the pricing is correct.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

One area of marketing you might want to look at is parents of children studying at York University who are coming for a visit. I've got several friends with kids at York who maybe visit them once a year with younger siblings and explore York at the same time. If you get some cards printed maybe you could put a few on the noticeboards of the various halls of residence. I'll certainly mention your property to my friends as it looks really nice and very reasonable (if not too reasonable as I mentioned before!)
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Hi there

Just a small point but when I saw your original post, I copied and pasted the reference number and it said property was not found. It was only on checking that I realised I had copied a space at the end of the number, and this was what was preventing me from loading the page. Seems a silly thing for Sykes to overlook as I would have thought it was easy to rectify, but you could say silly of me to copy a space at the end, too! :)

I agree with the comments about the photos - they look great. Nice and bright, and the whole place looks inviting.

I'm not in touch with holiday rental rates in your area, but they strike me as a little too cheap. £734 for a property that sleeps 8 people in high season doesn't strike me as a great deal (we are at £850 for a property that sleeps 4) and, once Sykes take their (presumably handsome?) cut, I wouldn't have thought that leaves a great sum for you to cover expenses and make a profit. I'd have expected it to be over £1000 in peak as the place looks to well furnished.

One last point... the triple room strikes me as lacking space. Unless this is a really strong selling point for your property, I would be inclined to take out one of the beds and make it a twin (or double).
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It looks absolutely lovely dizza, you have no need to feel nervous. :)

Fab photos that show why a professional package is worth it, I'd say.

I know nothing about the rates in your area, but like others, they do seem too cheap. If you can stomach it for a year all well and good, but I'm sure you will want to increase it when you have control. The only problem you may find is that you are losing potential return guests from that first year. If it's too cheap now, they may not want to return when the price is higher. I have had this happen to me a couple of times.

I also agree with KC, it's lovely to have some space if you can, in a bedroom, so I would have provided a guest bed under one of the singles. That way you have it if required, but probably most of the time it won't be used, depending on your market. This is what I did for my second bedroom in my later property. I only have one bed in there but there is the second if required. The bulk of my bookings are for 2 people, with occasionally 3 or 4, so the space is better for them than having the bed.
dizza2560

opinions needed please

Post by dizza2560 »

Thankyou for the comments.
I think that bizarrely the photo in the triple room does make it appear tighter on space than it actually is. I was trying for maximum flexiblity as in 2 doubles plus 4 singles or 2 doubles 1 kingsize plus 2 singles with an eye on the more than one family scenario, or more than 2 couples (which is how all but one booking has panned out) I am also aware that there is as strong demand for sleeps 8 as there is for sleeps 4 ( at least that is how it seems from posts on the subject)
I suppose I will have to wait and see if we get any guest comments re space. Interestingly we had both Sykes and C4U to visit, the current arrangement was suggested by from C4U, Sykes suggested I turn the single room into either an ensuite or a snug. i thought there was enough living space and the expense of an ensuite was a problem as we were on a tight budget of £6000 to completely furnish the property (everything you see in the photos was funded by thst amount and I am sure you all know how much all the bedding towels pillows duvets etc alone cost!)
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Beautiful job decorating and the photos show it off wonderfully. I have no input on pricing as I have no idea of a number, but your place looks perfect, and if your amenities/location/sleeping capacity are in the same league with the pricier cottages I'd up the pricing...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
MaggieP

Post by MaggieP »

Also with Sykes since January but have let previously for 6 years so was able to give historical sales or I think they would have priced the property lower. (ref 12186). I much prefer Sykes to our previous agency with the caveat I am able to work with them and manage the pricing. Your photos look superb.