Sawdays ?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Pujols, didn't you say that they told you they already had enough listings in your area or somesuch?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pujols

Post by pujols »

No that is not what I said...
pujols

Post by pujols »

No that is not what I said...
OR what they said...THEY have since taken on more in this spot.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sorry, my mistake. Just found what you said:
pujols wrote: Apparently they do not want to accept more British Owners....AS from 2008!!!

Although they have!
I'd have thought your property and what it offers is right up their street. Have you tried to call them to gently tackle them?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pujols

Post by pujols »

That is ok Giddy Goat.

I think that we can manage without them.
We have moved on with the way we let people know of our existance.
In the begining we accepted lots of short stay 2 nights etc.
But taking 2 nighters for Fri/sat at any time of the season is
hopeless for us.
I concider that we are a destination and not a stop overfor a night or 2.
I never stop contenplating and planning and I love my work.
So different from life in London and so many new friends.
CSE

Post by CSE »

How to get listed on Sawdays:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/ ... lane-video
Give that something special.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
baylor

Post by baylor »

Just a note about Sawdays and my experience with them.

After a dear friend of mine told me about them, I "applied" and got the initial email response back that they were pleased to tell me that I could pay to be reviewed. They then announced that it 800 euros a year for the listing.

I complained that this was too much--that's probably 5% of my season's net--they graciously lowered it to 700 euros.

I'm almost fully booked (less one week this year in June) for the season with holidaylettings.com; I'm just not sure that I'll get that much more from Sawdays. Maybe the answer is to try it for one year and see what we get--if it extends the season or whatever? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

baylor wrote: I'm almost fully booked (less one week this year in June) for the season with holidaylettings.com; I'm just not sure that I'll get that much more from Sawdays.
What do you mean by "fully booked"? 51 weeks except for the week in June? Or May to September?
baylor

Post by baylor »

Sorry LV- should have been more clear!

I'm only in my second year, but I'm basically only getting 12-14 weeks per year: early June through to mid September. That's fine with me, as it's my holiday home, and I just want it to partially earn it's keep. Also much earlier or later than that and I have to pay for heat, lots more laundry (duvet covers, etc), and so forth--making an off-season rental much less lucrative. Every week basically costs me in the region of 200 euros in fixed costs, and that rises to closer to 250 in the low season. So at low season rates, they start to become not very attractive to me once I think about wear and tear on the house and so forth.

But I'm probably not being very practical--I should sweat the asset more, as they say in business schools. :-)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Baylor,
I have PM'd you.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

In a fit of stupidity, I filled in the owner enquiry form last week (I was looking for somewhere to stay myself). As they don't have a rep full-time in the Alps, they are wanting to inspect in mid-JUly, when I can't be there and I have guests staying :roll: . Still waiting for their email to arrive though. They are aware that M will be there. What does she need to do for a good inspection? I would have preferred them to come when we were there ourselves.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I dont advertise with Sawdays, but do use them to look for places to stay.

I like the site because I am assured of a certain quality, but I have to say that recent experience has proved that they dont particularly check on what is being advertised. (in particular an advert in euros then tried to make me pay the same numerical value in sterling)
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would never have an inspection when guests were there. Too much hassle for the guests and me. I'm sure Sawday's would understand if you postponed it. They offered to do my re-inspection in April but I had guests in and said it wasn't possible. They agreed that it wasn't good to disrupt guests and will come back later this year.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Rechecked my calendar properly, and there is a gap, I thought I had a booking 18-23rd but it is 8th to 13th . Call came through on my mobile when I couldn't check the computer. Trouble is they have no permanent inspectors in the Alps (now there's a job for me :wink: ) so it may take a while to be inspected if I can't do it.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

After receiving my email from them, I was astounded at the cost for an annual listing, I have been quoted 670€ plus the 100€ application fee :shock: