Holiday Lettings Nightly Rates

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Richy

Holiday Lettings Nightly Rates

Post by Richy »

Is anyone having problems with Holiday lettings now displaying the nightly rate based on the weekly rate/7 at the top of the advert?
I have recently had a number of enquiries where people have complained when i quote a short break price that is not pro-rata of the weekly rate. I believe most people on here have some algorithm for working out short break prices that are not the weekly rate divided by 7?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I had exactly the same problem. Mine was advertised @£35.00 per night, so enquirer wanted 3 nights X £35.00. When I explained that wasn't how it worked I was threathened with a bad review on TA for misleading information despite my explaining that I had no control over this. As it happened they couldn't leave the review as they hadn't booked. Think we solved it by only quoting weekly rates & stating elsewhere the rates for short breaks.
Richy

Post by Richy »

I'm not alone then! The explanation i had was that snapshots of nightly pricing had proven to create more interest. Whats the point if you just end up with angry clients? I have no problem with them implementing nightly pricing, it just need to be clear and not misleading.
If you have time i would be grateful if you would summarise your post and send to HL as a complaint just to make them think about a better implementation.
Thanks
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

kyreniagirl wrote:Think we solved it by only quoting weekly rates & stating elsewhere the rates for short breaks.
But doesn't that mean that someone skim reading your listing will think you don't do short breaks at all and move on?

I haven't had this problem....yet....as I only rarely do short lets in mid and high season, but I can see it coming to bite me soon.
It is not very satisfactory really, is it. I feel another email to HL coming on...
kg1

Post by kg1 »

FelicityA wrote:
kyreniagirl wrote:Think we solved it by only quoting weekly rates & stating elsewhere the rates for short breaks.
But doesn't that mean that someone skim reading your listing will think you don't do short breaks at all and move on?

I haven't had this problem....yet....as I only rarely do short lets in mid and high season, but I can see it coming to bite me soon.
It is not very satisfactory really, is it. I feel another email to HL coming on...
I managed to get it into the little bit of text on the listing page, but yes it's not ideal. Rather that than angry potential guests. I do mine as a percentage of the weekly rate.

I did speak to HL about it but they weren't interested.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Yes, we had one guy phone us & when we told him the price he disagreed and quoted the price on HL at ''their'' nightly rate. He thought we were trying to rip him off & got rather angry!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have emailed HL about this. I don't think they have really taken on board the potential for misunderstandings arising. Angry customers walk away and probably never come back to the site.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

FelicityA wrote:I have emailed HL about this. I don't think they have really taken on board the potential for misunderstandings arising. Angry customers walk away and probably never come back to the site.
That was the point I put to them, the person I dealt with will certainly never go back to HL or me! Still weren't interested.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I'm still waiting for a reply from HL on this. I did a few tests and found the 'from' £x nightly rates varied according to what the 'searcher' put in so there is no consistency in the results.

It would actually be good if the rate was a direct reflection of the search but only if there was a proper explanation to the viewer, of whether it is a pro rata nightly rate (based on a week's stay) or a short break rate.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We had exactly this problem which resulted in unhappy potential guests - and did point it out to HL -they weren't interested. Just another example of them misunderstanding who their customers are - and one reason why after several years we stopped listing with them. They weren't interested in losing our business either (3 properties) and this has been the attitude since they became part of TA . . . . .
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

They weren't interested in losing our business either (3 properties) and this has been the attitude since they became part of TA . . . . .
DITTO
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I did have a reply, fulsome in its explanation (credit where credit is due...) of how the holidaymaker wants to see how cheap you are per night. This is a point I fully understand as it sells you well against a hotel on a weekly stay.

However, I think it must be a cut and paste job because the HL man seems to have missed my point that I have short breaks and weekly stays and it is displaying the lower rates without saying 'based on a 7 day stay'. He also seems to think I don't do short breaks (I do) so I have not got a problem.

Quote: The nightly rates displayed are correct and are based on the following information from your rental rates: The lowest weekly rental rate divided by 7 nights is the "from" amount and the "to" highest weekly rental rate divided by 7 nights.

It is not possible to remove this feature I am afraid, as all the adverts have it now as part of the new developments on the Holiday Lettings site, but similarly you will not get many requests for a stay of less than a week, as long as your adverts state that you have a minimum stay of a week.

If anyone has selected dates of less than a week, you advert will simply not appear in the search results. Even if someone did come across your advert, who was looking for a shorter stay, they can see clearly that you have a minimum stay of a week.

No I don't - I have a minimum stay of 2 nights..... I have since also noted that when someone did a search for a place with a minimum rent of £300 and max of £600, my place came up with the rates given as being £575-£600. This is actually completely incorrect with the top figure (but neatly fits the bill for the holidaymaker) What's going on there?

So all is well at HL apparently. A pity they did not think this one through better.....or even ask their customers. I will have to put a note on my listing to say the nightly rate you see displayed is probably incorrect! Now I am wishing I didn't have TA reviews I am reluctant to lose or I would walk too. I am not at all surprised to see so many are not renewing but I am surprised that HL do not seem to care and push on with changes without any consultation or notice.