replacing broken items in rented property

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

'Our last lot of French guests rejected all our coffee making paraphenalia and brought their own teapot.'
Was it lime green, thats all they seem to have around here?

Robert
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I use Caffe Nero - they seem to be able to master their Italian gadgetry every time.

John
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Lesblancs wrote:
'Our last lot of French guests rejected all our coffee making paraphenalia and brought their own teapot.'
Was it lime green, thats all they seem to have around here?

Robert
I haven't a clue, I was merely informed of the teapot's existence when trying to demonstrate our range of coffee related paraphenalia. However funnily enough the coffee machine is lime green as are most things in the kitchen.

Sarah.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Personally, we have a filter machine at home, so had no hesitation about buying one for the apartment. I do find it easier to clean out though if I use a paper filter rather than the permanent one provided. Our home one is also an espresso/cappuccino machine, but this doesn't get used as often, except by our eldest son, who normally doesn't drink coffee, but has developed an espresso habit, and an expensive one too, as it had to be Lavazzo Club blend.!!!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan wrote:Joanna,
Here's mine! Image
Susan,
That's not called a "Cafetiere" here, it's called a "filter coffee maker"! I don't have any cafetieres at the rental either, only at my own home. Like you, I have an electric cofee maker there, two actually - as American families like to make both decaf and regular at the same time, as well we give them an expresso machine, but that is rarely used. I have never had a broken glass jug ever, so that's very unlucky, although I think I've been through 3 coffee makers in 2 years because they're made like junk and don't last, neither do the kettles (which are called electric jugs here!).

I have never seen an electric kettle in an American household except my own and they are difficult to find in the stores. Americans boil water directly on the stove top (hob) using what's called a "whistler", which is like the bottom half of a cona coffee maker, a clear glass round shaped jug with a handle.

ooop, I think I hijacked the post, sorry.....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have never seen an electric kettle in an American household except my own and they are difficult to find in the stores.
Joanna,
I suppose this is because in America you drink a lot more coffee than tea? In France, it used to be the same thing and in fact there are still a lot more coffee makers than kettles for sale in the shops. However, French tastes seem to be changing and a lot more now drink tea (or the flavoured 'tissanes', IMHO yuk!), so more buy kettles now.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Susan wrote: However, French tastes seem to be changing and a lot more now drink tea (or the flavoured 'tissanes', IMHO yuk!).
As I am milk intolerant I drink a lot of tissanes (or, as the English call them, herbal teas). I agree with you that most taste like the sweepings from the bottoms of hedgerows. However, you should try Dr Stuarts - they are made from pharmacological grade herbs rather than food grade and are great. Second favourite is Fortnum & Mason.

John
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I find the idea that a large portion of the French wouldn't use Joanna's Bodum-type model quite funny. In the US that type of coffee maker is called a French Press! :)

Incidentally, it makes the best coffee I've ever had. I bought a big insulated one and keep it (with an electric kettle) at my department; it's very popular. Whenever I make coffee, I let my fellow grad students know, and all 12 cups are gone within an hour even though I only drink half a cup at a time!

Typically, I prefer tea, though most Americans do prefer coffee, and pretty gross coffee at that (in my oh-so-humble opinion).
Brooke