Rainy Day Ideas!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Unibond3

Rainy Day Ideas!

Post by Unibond3 »

Hi!

Given the growing perception that the remainder of the British Summer is likely to be somewhat damp, in order to boost interest in self-catering holidays to fill those gaps, I wonder if it would benefit all UK holiday property owners to create a long list of rainy day ideas - from things to do indoors, as well as generic things to do outdoors, that will add enjoyment to the holiday.

I say 'generic' so that all suggestions will be relevant where ever your property is in the UK. It would be interesting to see what the assembled creative ingenuity of LMH members can come up with.

You can then cherry pick suggestions to display somewhere appropriate in your properties.

*Find people prepared to come and run a workshop, master class etc, such as cup cake making, wild flower walks.

*Paper Dart Olympics

* Balloon Volleyball or baseball (make sure you have the space or a decent security deposit for this!)

*Play 'Pit' - the card game, it's noisy and hilarious.

I could go on but who am I to steel your thunder...

What can you suggest?
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Funny you should post this. I've added a section to my welcome notes this year with a long list of things to do in the local area on rainy days. I hadn't thought of adding games, good idea!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pick any card, if it's raining then move somewhere sunnier (and you win) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Great minds and all that.......I was just thinking I should do this. :lol:
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

I thought this might be topical!

So, come on then - let's share some ideas.

Games are an obvious choice, but other things to do are worth while....

For late summer and autumn visitors - list the best places for blackberries or conkers - and then do Olympic Conkers!
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Unibond3 wrote:For late summer and autumn visitors - list the best places for blackberries or conkers - and then do Olympic Conkers!
But you'll get wet picking them!

My first thoughts are to tell them where the local cinema, bowling alley and swimming pool are - boring but useful!

Local museums and craft places - such as those in Barns and in little complexes.

I just googled for Norfolk and lo and behold, an article has been published just over 3 hours ago today, listing 25 things to do in Norfolk to beat the rain. Thanks - that's my facebook update sorted. :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unibond3 wrote:For late summer and autumn visitors - list the best places for blackberries or conkers - and then do Olympic Conkers!
OK, my conker versus your blackberry.

(I hope it's not a company one!)

Mols
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Nemo wrote: My first thoughts are to tell them where the local cinema, bowling alley and swimming pool are - boring but useful!
Yes, I have all those (the Gaumont cinema in Rennes shows a lot of films in VO so the cinema isn't a completely weird idea). Indoor ball park place for young kids, public indoor pool (we have a fabulous one 20kms away), ice skating rink, Aquarium, Reptilarium, and museums.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Oh dear, LV, I have been to your bit of the world many times and I feel for you - it's great when the sun shines, otherwise it's clutching at straws. Do many of your visitors really go to the cinema in Rennes? I could feel just a tinge of scepticism.

Sorry, no solace to offer, but you must just hope they're a tough breed at the moment.

Mols :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Moliere wrote:Oh dear, LV, I have been to your bit of the world many times and I feel for you - it's great when the sun shines, otherwise it's clutching at straws. Do many of your visitors really go to the cinema in Rennes? I could feel just a tinge of scepticism.

Sorry, no solace to offer, but you must just hope they're a tough breed at the moment.

Mols :roll:
Probably not, but the good thing about living here is that there is plenty to see and do, even if the weather isn't that great. And it hasn't been as wet here as the UK. I can think of some areas of France that I'd much rather not be in when the weather isn't great because they are so dull and there is nothing to visit. Thankfully Brittany/Normandy isn't one of them :wink: And people don't come here for the weather...most know that it is a UK climate plus a couple of degrees.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV we were in Loire in 2003 at the start of the heatwave. We had a horrendous weekend of continuous rain, thunder and lightning in the middle of our 2 weeks. We'd already done more Chateaus than our young teens could stand, and were really at a loss. Some suggestions as to where to go would have been wonderful.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Vineyards in France, for adult guests, the vineyard owners need summat to do when it's rainy so welcoming tourists is good.
In any city with a decent footie club : visit to a match or to the ground, in Barcelona the stadium is a veritable shrine to the gods of football.
In the UK, evening kick-offs are a great way to introduce youngsters to live football/rugby
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

HelenB wrote:LV we were in Loire in 2003 at the start of the heatwave. We had a horrendous weekend of continuous rain, thunder and lightning in the middle of our 2 weeks. We'd already done more Chateaus than our young teens could stand, and were really at a loss. Some suggestions as to where to go would have been wonderful.
Thankyou Helen! I know my list may seem a bit dull, but having had a lot of kids stay here, I know that they like doing these things when the weather isn't great even if they are on holiday.
And when the kids are happy, the parents are, too.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Surly what they do in the rain can be the same as in the sun, walking, shopping, visit historical locations. Yes it will not be as pleasant, but they are not made of sugar and dissolve in the rain. :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

There speaks a true Galician!