Can't keep the pool clean - is it algae and what can I do?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pitway

Post by pitway »

Annie T wrote:
Incidentally, I mentioned this to a friend back in the UK who has a pool and he uses 'Hypoclorite conentrated farm disinfectant' which is liquid chlorine and costs about £10 for 20 litres from the local farm shop - and I suspect is exactly the same as the French product for which I paid 15 Euros for 5 litres!! Guess what is on my next 'UK shopping list' ready for next year!!
You can buy liquid chlorine (10%) in just about any Brico-shed (france) 20 litres about 20euros (l'eau de javel) it is the quickest method for getting your pool to shock level (without bumping up your Cyanuric acid level which you really don't want to do) pour it in just in front of one of the returns. Liquid chlorine has a very short shelf life after a few weeks it starts to lose it's concentration so check the date sticker.

Testing strips are IMHO expensive and not that accurate. The cheap test kit from the supermarket not that good either, the drop test ones (two little bottles) are fine for PH but the OTO test will give you reading for total chlorine the measurement you need to keep up is Free Chlorine you are better off having the palin DPD No1 tablet.