Something for (nearly) all website reviews

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
e-richard

Something for (nearly) all website reviews

Post by e-richard »

Having attempted a number of website reviews recently, there is something that I've never been able to articulate and still struggle with, but let me have a go:

Most of us (and I include myself) have put a lot of effort into building our business. The property has been lovingly put together and furnished and we're very proud to offer it to guests for renting. So our websites tell this story.

But its the wrong story.

If the purpose of the website is to attract renters, then except perhaps, for the About Us page, the entire website copy should be about YOU the renter, YOUR dream holiday in YOUR accommodation.

I came across a blog today that tells us what is The #1 Website Copy Mistake That Most Businesses Make, and frankly it says everything that I'm trying to convey.

It's worth a read, and then some deep thought.

In my opinion its very hard to rewrite what we have already, it would have been so much more helpful before we started, but I do think the message is spot on.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
tavi

Post by tavi »

Interesting, Richard - thanks.

It all makes perfect sense - must have a look at my site and see how I can apply it. :)
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Yes, very interesting indeed Richard,

I am not in sales/marketing, but did read several books on the subject in the past, written by highly successful individuals, who had 'revealed their secrets'.

What they always professed was that 'selling' (which is, after-all, what we are doing as rental owners isn't it) was all about 'finding out what the customer wants' and then giving that to them (well selling it to them :lol: ).

It sounds harsh, but I do agree that for most folks, their 3 most favourite words are -

"me".... "myself"...... and..... "I"

Of course, we already know what the customer wants - A nice break in our holiday rentals :wink: but presenting our 'website content' in a manner that talks about them, the punter and then compels them to take 'action' (place that booking) is indeed the challange.

Now, off over to my blog to check what, or who, I've been writing about recently. Something tells me I have been talking too much about 'moi' and not enough about 'vous' !
Ray
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I got to the bit that says "They also know how to write in a way that keeps people reading to ensure that all of your website copy gets read."

...and then stopped reading. ;)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Oh, you are a one KC :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did try to do something along those lines recently and I'm about to give the site it's annual revamp, to set it up for the winter bookings, so let me know what you think of it so far.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I've only had chance to have a quick look at your home page Helen, as I'm dashing off out, but I reckon that's the sort of thing that e-richard (and the artricle) were referring to. I can't see that you can 'personalise' things much more than that, without adding further text and personally I think you have about the right volume in there already !
Ray