Help - So Many Flies!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
NiceCuppaTea

Help - So Many Flies!

Post by NiceCuppaTea »

Can anyone recommend anything to help cut down the number of flies, as we seem to be having a real problem with them at the moment? Many thanks.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

They are a nuisance but thankfully we don't suffer from them too much here in east Anglia. However, my other half is obsessional about getting each and every one! I have tried sprays but don;t like using something we can breath in too. Recently i've found a sticker for the window that is like a sunflower. the flies seem to be attracted to it and they stick on it.

it's not that nice to look at and needs changing regularly but it does the job really well. I suppose it works on the same basis as the old fly paper but is much better aesthetically.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm sure LV will be along soon as I think she recommends something called 'red top'? Anyway she has great success with it I think.
There's a thread on here about flies from last year...so search and you may find it.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
FordMill

Post by FordMill »

I can recommend the red top fly catcher too.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/st ... p-fly-trap

I also use fly papers in the house....Not the best things to look at, but they work really well.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

WOW, I've just looked at that and that is exactly what my other half would go for. It looks the biz.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Have you tried putting some herb plants (basil, rosemary,etc) near where they congregate? It's a good organic solution!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

FordMill wrote:I can recommend the red top fly catcher too.

I also use fly papers in the house....Not the best things to look at, but they work really well.
Exactly my strategy. I also leave them for the guests and explain although they look disgusting they work. I use the red top fly trap outside, you can't use them inside as they stink. Very effective.The sticker things on the window never seem to work and they are a nightmare to take off. Plus guests often stick them within the reach of children which isn't a good idea as they are toxic.
mouser

Post by mouser »

la vache! wrote:

Exactly my strategy. I also leave them for the guests and explain although they look disgusting they work. I use the red top fly trap outside, you can't use them inside as they stink. Very effective.The sticker things on the window never seem to work and they are a nightmare to take off. Plus guests often stick them within the reach of children which isn't a good idea as they are toxic.
ooh my first response post :D we use these due the chickens they are brilliant
x
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, I've just ordered a couple of these - eventually found an eBay seller who'd deliver to France - so I'm hoping for a Result!

Agree that the things you stick on windows are as good as useless, AND it's near impossible to get them off.

Our terrace is surrounded by aromatic plants and herbs (including citronella), and it makes not a blind bit of difference :cry: This does seem to be a bad year so far - and we're being plagued too with some very small, particularly stupid wasps who seem to want to sample everything I'm eating, usually just as I'm putting it in my mouth. They clearly have the Little Wasp Syndrome as their sting is out of all proportion to their importance ...
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

this year as well as the red tops for the flies we have hung up some waspinators also - so far very effective http://www.waspinator.co.uk
farley

Post by farley »

Hi all
Just wondering if theres anything new on the Fly deterrent front (for gardens)?
This seasons been particularly bad, even our farming neighbour is surprised/bemused by it.
Love to hear about any positive advances re this issue.
Thanks as always
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not been out to our place this summer yet, but have had no complaints about them. There's always a spray in the cupboard and a fly trap thing on the top of the cabinets in the kitchen which we kane sure we leave at the end of the winter.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I also recommend a "Red Top Fly Trap". It works a treat. The smell is so awful that we have to hang it at a distance from a tree in the garden but that doesn't matter, because it's a 'magnet' for all the flies in a wide radius. I used to sit at this computer squirting the can at countless flies which kept settling. Now there isn't a single one.

They are not cheap at £17 a pair on Amazon, but well worth it.
farley

Post by farley »

We supply sticky fly strips and spray for inside .
Outside we pop Red Tops up, they are very good but extremely smelly. Understandably our guests aren't keen if they find themselves downwind of them :(

I just wish some clever scientist would come up with a repellent to spray for the patio, shutters, doors to move the pesky flies away.

Has anyone had any luck with plants like citronella scented geraniums?
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We have bought a product from Viridia called Nurelle 56 E.C. which is very good. We use it on our balconies and outside terraces. No idea if it is available outside Italy.

It is available on Amazon.it but couldn't find it on co.uk