Advice welcome for Kissimmee townhouse site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Sunshine Smile

Advice welcome for Kissimmee townhouse site

Post by Sunshine Smile »

As a new member to this forum I would welcome comments on website www.tropicalpalmtownhouse.com .

From the information in the newsletters I am aware that there are areas for improvements. My website was created by a friend who has offered to undertake amendments on an as and when basis. I am learning the package myself so hope, in future, to do changes myself.

I would welcome some advice as to which sector my marketing should target - hotel/condo guests or villa guests. Our home is on a gated community resort with condos and townhouses. The townhomes vary with splashpools, with sundecks and with hot-tubs . In addition there are as 3-7 bed villas to compete with. Guest either want to pay less and settle for a condo or pay more and settle for a villa. How can I convince them that our townhome is really the best of both worlds, value for money in a great location and resort?

Regards
Angela
"If you know what you want, you will recognise it when you see it."
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

hi Angela and welcome to the forum.

I have just had a brief look at your site but a couple of things struck me.. the main centre photo on your home page seemed to be a little slow in downloading and I'm on broadband - has it been optimised for the web? (see other threads re optimising/resizing images) If someone is on dial up this will be painfully slow. Also, the navigation buttons, although I understand the "theme" you're going for, the font is a bit difficult to read, especially the "windsor palms resort" one which looks a bit crowded and crammed in.

The map page didn't fit on my screen without using the bottom scroll bars which makes navigation difficult. Generally, on the blue textured background the thin text is a bit difficult to read and the pink text especially doesn't stand out.

Some of the thumbnail photos open up and are still fairly small making it hard to see easily the interior of your property and feel like you really want to be there. I kinda think the list of property rules are a bit offputting/negative - maybe they're the thing at the time of booking?

I do like the idea of an availbility calendar (see previous discussions amongst members) the resort and your property do look appealing and I'm sure fellow members will be able to advise on your marketing strategies. Hope my comments don't sound harsh, as ever, just my opinion and I haven't had the courage yet to volunteer my site for a post mortem!!
kind regards - Sue
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,
Not wanting to be negative, but two things strike me just from your homepage: firstly, the colour scheme and general look seem a bit 80s Miami Vice to me, although I really don't know anything about your particular market so this may be a plus point.
Secondly (and much more importantly) though, in the main heading 'tropical' is spelt wrongly, as 'tropcial'.
The property looks lovely though!
Cheers,
PC
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Angela,

If you want to persuade people that you offer a good in-between solution, I would state the argument straight away at the top. Say why it is better than a condo (size, amenities?), and why the community offers everything you could get from a more expensive villa with pool.

You don't have a pool so accentuate the positives: a bigger communal pool; kids can make friends with others their own age; you don't have to be permanently on guard for children falling in, as you would with your own pool.

On your homepage the main pic is of the outside of Windsor Palms. To me that isn't a selling point, I would rather see the house or an impressive amenity.

The colours are very Miami art deco, but I find it hard to read the green text on a green background. I would like to see a white background.

Where you list the benefits at the top, I would use bullet-points and give each benefit its own line - like a check-list:
  • - 5 minutes to Disney
    - 15 minutes to Universal
    - 5-star luxury resort at affordable rates
This is much easier to scan.

The text is centred and this also makes it hard to read - better justified left.

There are a few gaps in your arguments on the homepage - you say something that begs the question why?/ how? For instance:

"Windsor Palms Resort is a popular family friendly location....."

"A lot of thought has been given to ensure that you have all the home comforts you require during your stay in our home....."

"By choosing to stay in our home you can fulfil all your wishes...."

Each of these should be a separate paragraph with expansion on why these statements are true.

Photos page: as I say quite often, I don't like thumbnails that expect people to click through to get the impression you want to give of your home. Most people won't bother. I would just show them full-size. Your photos could be better, especially the view of a lavatory, and the one of a curtain/doorframe(?) There is no natural light and they make the place look a little cramped.

I always recommend investing in professional photography. It is not that expensive and well worth it in the long run.

Pics need captions to tell us what we are looking at. If you show them full size, you can run longer text alongside to sell the benefits more.

And that's my 2 cents' worth. :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sunshine Smile

Post by Sunshine Smile »

Thank you to everyone who has commented on my website so far. I have not viewed any of the feedback given as negative.

Having the title for your home mis-spelt is a major mistake. It just goes to show how much we scan read rather than read letters and words- Thank you Paul C.

In terms of the Miami art deco colours used, I wanted to create a tropical/caribbean theme to reflect the furnishing theme of the home and the lush landscape it overlooks. I will need to look at another way to do this.

I will take on board all the comments raised . I see the way forward as getting the professionals to help in the photography and redesign/upgrade of the website…..anyone looking for a job please email me: tropicalpalm2 @aol.com! [Remove space before the @ sign]

In the meantime, I can use the marketing tips to improve on my web advertisements copy.

Thanks once again.

Regards
Sunshine Smile (Angela)
Sunshine Smile

Post by Sunshine Smile »

Since having my website reviewed, I have re-written many of my web advertising adverts using the advice given on the site and have seen more hits so far, especially my on-line calendar. In fact I secured two bookings within two weeks!

Still got more work to do but I am going in the right direction now. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

.....many thanks Paolo
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Angela,

I fully agree about the color scheme -- but I understand, I think, what you were going for. I do think a white background would make everything more readable, and your image colors would still convey the color scheme. Your title images would look smoother, too. You could also choose a cream color if you don't like white backgrounds.

If you hate both those ideas, consider making the page background at least a solid light aqua color rather than the textured background it is now. The texture, I think, is what makes the green-on-green hard to read. I also agree with Paolo that at least one of your homepage pictures should be a picture of your rental, whether that be an interior or exterior shot, or a scenery shot taken from the townhouse.

One more suggestion re: colors and the menu buttons on the left. I find that the green-on-pink is much easier to read than the pink-on-green; for example, "Conditions" on the "Terms and Conditions" button is very hard to read because of the gradient the buttons use. You could fix that by either making the gradient less strong (so that it doesn't go to such a dark color at the bottom of the button) or changing all the buttons to green-on-pink.

Cheers!
Brooke