Damage caused by child

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ju

Damage caused by child

Post by Ju »

We have some guests leaving tomorrow, who have tonight given us a list of damage caused by their son.

Their son is five years old, and autistic. They have alsorts of problems with him. They have been very good guests, and would like to come back, and we would happily have them. The question is what do we do about charging for the damage.

They are more than happy to pay, and are being completely up front about everything. There are some breakages, which are easy to add up, but much of the damage consists of writing on the walls and such like. How do we bill for it? At the end of the day we will glue back down any bits that are torn, and then put on another coat of paint. Our business is based on children and so we expect damage like this. As they are possible repeat bookers we have no intention of going over the top on the damage costs.

Ju

P.S We have done some meals of this group over the past two weeks, and when they paid their bill tonight they insisted on giving an 80€ tip.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Difficult one this!
On another posting today I have been very hard-nosed, but in this case I would tend to be more lenient.

If I had to pay someone else to repair the damage caused by the boy, then I would charge. If it is something that we could repair ourselves with just an hour or two's work, then I would probably let it go. Or, if they are eager to pay, then I would charge an hourly rate for the time spent.

The only problem is, what happens next year? What happens if the damage is more extensive? I think that if you do "let it go" as I suggested above, you should tell them that this is because the damage was easily repairable, but warn them that if it is more extensive next year then you will have to deduct from the damages deposit.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ju,
Have you seen the damage? If not, then I would not give an instant answer. You could tell them that you understand their situation, and are not unsympathetic, but will need to get back to them when you've had someone look at it and estimate costs.

If it is indeed something you are happy to repair yourself at no cost, then fine, give them a pass, but otherwise charge them whatever someone is going to charge you to do the repair work.

Regarding next year, I would not say anything until you have seen the damage, then if it is minor, reassure them that you would have no problem having them back.

I'm a little troubled by one aspect. I don't think this is the first holiday they have ever taken with this child, so I think they knew before they booked the holiday with you that this was going to happen. Maybe it's just me, but we don't expect writing on walls or torn wallpaper, absolutely not, and we too gear ourselves to families with young children.

I can't blame this family for not saying anything in advance, but I don't think they or anyone else would think the worse of you if you did decide to say no to a repeat booking, or if you asked for an extra deposit next year.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

wow. What a difficult position to be put in! While I have great sympathy for people with special needs children, I also know that many travel with extra help (an axtra babysitter or au pair) to help with supervision and avoid damage.

I would assume that they are staying at your place becasue they are aware of the possible damage and would get charged an arm and a leg for repairs to a hotel!

That said, they do seem well aware of the problem and I would probably let very minor things go - not damage to the walls though...I would probably give them the option of re-plastering, priming and painting the walls for you rather than paying if they'd prefer as well as anything else that is easily fixed - they may not take you up on it and would rahter just pay and not be bothered... but I would assume they would appreciate your willingness to work with them.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

As others said, they clearly knew that there was going to be a problem and, if they had been upfront when they booked I would have been more sympathetic - you could have taken a decision as to whether you were happy to face this problem. If you are on-site and diy'ers, it may be fine - for us, who live away, this would be a major problem trying to find a decorator that could come in the handover period, or would give a below par cottage to the next guests (also, it would cost an arm plus leg to sort out).

I agree that you should just give a holding response until you've seen the problems first hand - it may not be as bad as you fear; I'll cross my fingers.

John
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have seen, and repaired the damage done. We are on site, and will do repairs ourselves so the cost to us was about three hours work and about 5 Euros. Most of the breakages are the usual wine glass / plate which I don't charge for, but there was also the lid off a casserole which I will charge for.

Overall I am not too upset. The family have tried hotels in the past, but it was a big group (12 in all) and the self catering option gives them much more privacy and flexibility. It is also easier for them to contain their child in an enclosed environment.

I met the child and he is severly Autistic. They were a lovely family trying to cope with his difficulties. I feel that if I did turn them down then I would be turning them down because of his condition, which spacks of discrimination. Overall we have had worse guests, and I think I prefer nice guests who have a great time and want to come back, to the ones that don't appear to be enjoying themselves.

Normally any damage we have is caused by adults and not children.

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

I'm glad you were able to resolve this - I know that your properties are child friendly and for these people with a handicapped child your response must have been heaven sent. Well done.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Well done Ju for handling it in such a caring way. You should be able to sleep well in your bed tonight knowing that you have done the right thing.

And remember: what goes round, comes around - people usually use this saying in negative situations, but it does actually work both ways! :D
debk

Post by debk »

You are my hero, Ju, a great example. Well done!
debk
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I have been watching this thread & hoping that this would be the outcome.

Well done for your caring & common sense approach to the situation.

Bob
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ju, a great outcome, it is extremely difficult for a family of an autistic child to take a holiday at all. Just taking him/her out of their normal environment causes distress. For the record, not everyone with a handicapped child can afford, or obtain extra help, most of it is done by the parents alone. A family I know have never had a holiday since their child was born because of this.