Using 3G data card

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Badger

Using 3G data card

Post by Badger »

I need to use my laptop abroad, both for emails and general internet stuff, but I dont have access to an independent telephone line/broadband connection. (telephone in apartment is billed via Reception switchboard)
I want to use it in my apartment, not sat somewhere outside trying to find a hot spot.
It has been suggested to me that I could put a 3G data card into my laptop to give wireless broadband, but I presume the charges will go through my mobile?
I am on Orange pay as you go (I know thats sad) but when in Spain I use a spanish sim card in it for cheaper calls.
How will that be affected, what sort of charges are made by the phone companies for this facility and am I still better with a spanish phone no. as it is with the sim card I use at present?
Even though we are away for 3 months I still have my broadband connected on my home computer, is there any way I can have any connection abroad via that?
I'm really not very computer literate so apologies if these are very basic questions with blindingly obvious answers. Thanks.
dmjarvis

3g Data card

Post by dmjarvis »

I think that you will pay the appropriate call cost for your operator and location, but you will also pay for the amount of data that you send/receive whilst online. This could work out to be a considerable cost, event if you're only online for 5-10 minutes at a time.