Please review and comment on my new site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
cooper

Please review and comment on my new site

Post by cooper »

Hello everyone,
Please take time out for any helpful comments you have on my new site which (I hope) looks fresher and cleaner than my previous. I wonder if there is too much info?
Also, comments about my url 'houseingreece'? Does it work when it's a villa? ('villa in greece' has gone years ago).
Hope everyone has a great 2005!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Michael,

I love the URL you chose! I'm not the expert on search engine optimization, but I do believe that "house in greece" is probably a fairly common search term, and that you will rank higher on search engine pages just because that's exactly what your URL says. Not 100% sure on that, but I believe that's the case.

Also, I immediately like the page design. Your pictures loaded for me in a snap, including the top animated banner. It is a flash animation, which some people won't be able to (or won't choose to) see, though, so keep that in mind. Your menus also might require a newer browser to work properly, though I think these are pretty browser-friendly. I'm using Firefox and I can use them just fine, so that's a great start.

In your villa pages you've bolded the important information. Why not also do that on the home page itself? I think it's a great idea.

Also on the homepage, I recommend linking each picture to a larger version of the picture that would open in maybe a well-sized browser window with a caption. My first instinct when I see a thumbnail-type picture that I like is to try and click it to see if there's a bigger one.

This is going to sound stupid, and I probably missed it elsewhere, but on your pricing page, are those prices for a week? It's not explicitly stated.

Your instructions on inquiring and booking couldn't be clearer -- excellent!

Your villa is stunning and this is very obvious from the pictures. I love the separation between interior, exterior, and surrounding area.

Great FAQs also!

That Mount Pelion beach image... is that a true color image? The water and sky are so blue, it looks like it must be enhanced. :) This is more for my own curiosity than a comment on the site.

Overall, this site is refreshingly well-done, to me. There are a lot of links for people to follow, but there are also a lot of reasons to follow them and I think you've done a nice job. I wish I had more time to browse, but unfortunately I have to get to a meeting! Else I'd be here for a good long while looking at pictures.
Brooke
cooper

thanks, appreciated!

Post by cooper »

Thanks, Brooke, for taking the time. Some helpful comments which I'll pick up on an incorporate. As a Firefox user myself Ive tested the site many times and found some intermittent probs, but they seem to crop up in Explorer as well, so maybe its a Flash rather than browser issue, but Im not sure? Anyone else know?
None of the pics are enhanced so the Pelion image (pulled from a Pelion regional site)is as is though they may have enhanced. From experience of Pelion, though, that's how it really is!

I quickly browsed your site, and I have some (i hope) helful comments but I warn you its 1am here and Ive just come in from a 'yourti' (a 'name day' party as the Greeks celebrate name days, not birthdays)......nice looking site, beautiful surroundings, very snappy page refresh, helpful, nice and easy writing style; The pics are v. good other than the home page - looks fuzzy and blurred compared to the rest. Try optimising it for 'sharpness' (they're some good hints on how in the forum somewhere - if you cant find them ask me and Ill search again).

How do you get on with handing back the security deposit 2 weeks AFTER they leave. Nice idea but dors it work OK with rentors? Do you take cash for it?

What are US potential visitors thinking of in temrs of Euriope/Greece this year?

Tx for your comments. Good luck!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Michael,

We don't live in France so we can't take cash for the deposits -- I never, ever even give people directions to the property until they've paid everything, including the deposit, and signed the rental contract. Typically people use PayPal to pay everything and I return the deposit the same way. That works nicely; otherwise we just write checks and endure the unbearably long time it takes to clear a check internationally (most of our clients are from the UK).

Thanks for the info on fuzzy homepage pictures... that's odd. Which picture is it? It could just be an older one.. one that I was thinking of removing anyway. This would just add to my inclinations!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Outstanding! I can't fault it.

If you twist my arm I would say I prefer to see bigger pictures rather than squinting. The ones on the villa pages are not clickable so it is a little uncomfortable to make out what I am looking at.

I couldn't find a way back to the homepage on the navigation menu. I might want to go back and check the information I read there.

I love the Activities pages, because you do three things that are essential: show pictures of each activity, describe them, and give clear travel times to each one. It's surprising how few sites do this (I don't think I have ever seen one).

You have really bent over backwards to deliver all the information one could possibly need, and all in a very attractive way.

And a Video Walkthrough to come - look forward to that.

I think everyone should go and pinch ideas from your site! Not for the beautiful design necessarily, but more easily the delivery of an idea or selling point - good descriptive text backed up with quality pictures. Even something basic like saying you can play tennis or beach volleyball nearby is given so much more impetus with little generic pics of those activities.

SEO-wise, I've read conflicting ideas about whether having keywords in your url is any benefit. But at least it is good for telling people what your site is about, especially those like me who scan urls rather than titles and descriptions in a page of results.

By the way if that purple sea isn't touched up, I'm a Dutchman's uncle (which, come to think of it, I am :D ).
Paolo
Lay My Hat