Visit Cornwall.

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
CSE

Visit Cornwall.

Post by CSE »

Whilst not affected by this I find this rather odd thing to do.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-19163973
Note the BBC have linked this under uk-england-cornwall :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

"We would never deny we're a county and deny that we're actually part of England."

Ergo, there shouldn't be an issue with people using the words 'county' or 'England' when making reference to Cornwall surely.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

When people turn to language engineering you know they are getting a bit desperate.

When simplicity and clarity are seen as threatening, what does this really say?

We are, of course, a business centre of excellence with ongoing progressive quality based delivery targets for all niches of the vacation demand sector.

Yuck.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

fair play to them... the cornish have always considered themselves a separate community, much like the bretons and basques in france, and catalans in spain.

i've lived here for 30 years and that identity is as strong today as it was the day i arrrived, and in some more remote areas you would think you are in a different country, with it's own culture and political party:
Mebyon Kernow - the Party for Cornwall is a modern and progressive political party, campaigning for a better deal for Cornwall and a fairer, more equitable World.

It is our belief that the historic nation of Cornwall, with its own distinct identity, language and heritage, has the same right to self-determination as Scotland and Wales. Mebyon Kernow is leading the campaign for the self-government of Cornwall, through the establishment of a legislative Assembly.

We will play our part in building a confident and outward-looking Cornwall, that has the power to take decisions for itself. To achieve this, our detailed policies are founded on the core values of prosperity for all, social justice and environmental protection.
pambon

Post by pambon »

United Kingdom??!!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

pambon wrote:United Kingdom??!!
Quite... :roll:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

yes, or great britain whichever you prefer but if it works for the welsh, scots and northern irish, or for that matter the english... why not for the cornish????
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

falbayview wrote:
yes, or great britain whichever you prefer but if it works for the welsh, scots and northern irish, or for that matter the english... why not for the cornish????
Problem is it seems to be the English who have to subsidise the rest !! Maybe WE English should be independent from all the rest. Grrrr... where will it end? A federation ? Oh, did Europe have a go at that? :? :cry:
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

Fraise wrote:
falbayview wrote:
Problem is it seems to be the English who have to subsidise the rest !! Maybe WE English should be independent from all the rest. Grrrr... where will it end? A federation ? Oh, did Europe have a go at that? :? :cry:
the problem the cornish have, particularly the young, is their perception that they are the poor relations and with unemployment high, wages low and property prices high - due to migration of mainly retired folks from the south east in particular - i can see their point.

i agree it's hard for all youngsters at this time but, more than the rest of the uk, they find themselves unable to get a foot on the property ladder even if they are lucky enough to have a job.

they have a right to their identity just like the welsh, scots and n. irish... don't turn this into some misguided discussion on how hard done by the english are :evil:
CSE

Post by CSE »

falbayview wrote:fair play to them... the cornish have always considered themselves a separate community, much like the bretons and basques in france, and catalans in spain......
Well according to Wiki not quite always.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_nationalism
Is it not ironic that you say Bretons and Basques in France and Catalans in Spain ???
BTW the Catalans are so independent of Spain that they have now asked the Spanish government for financial help.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Essar

Post by Essar »

All Yorkshiremen know, and I'm one, that Yorkshire is not a county - it's an INDEPENDENT REPUBLIC!!!!
11th in the medals table.
Where's Cornwall?

(that should liven things up a bit).
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Essar

Post by Essar »

I know I live in Dorset, but that's to get away from the kids - you know the generation that wants everything now, can't work out credit card accounts and bleat about why they should have more....
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"