To stage or not to stage?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Foxandsot

To stage or not to stage?

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

I've been thinking about the photos that need to be taken of the villa once we get hold of the keys in December. I've just seen some lovely photos in the sunday magazines of garden tables all dressed up looking lovely. As I don't want the expense of buying all the bits and pieces, I was thinking of cobbling together some stuff from home and taking it with us when we go to Cyprus in December and then bringing it back again. My questions are:

Is it worth staging rooms, gardens etc?

Would guests feel short-changed when the bits and pieces they saw in the photos are actually back in my house in London?

Am I heading for a disaster by worrying about the little things (mainly what the place will look like!!)

I'd love to hear your comments.

Michelle
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I think that yes, it is important to "stage" your rooms for the photographs (my bete noir is photos of kitchens with the bin as the focal point, in full view - just move it out of the way for god's sake!). :D

However, it is one thing to move things round a little bit for the photograph, but I think it would be dishonest to include things which are not usually there... :(
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree with Catherine - it is certainly worth the effort to 'dress' the rooms and the outside space, with the accessories you have there - a pot of geraniums or a table setting, or simply a couple of wineglasses (full) plus bottle - to sell the 'lifestyle', so to speak. Though if you look at our website, you may think the fish are a bit over the top...a case of my getting carried away somewhat perhaps!

There are some photography tips somewhere on the forum - a good one I recall is to stand on a chair to take an interior shot as it helps to make the room look larger and gets more of the furniture in. And there was talk about setting the camera up on a tripod, having all the shutters or curtains open, and lights on, while waiting for a certain magic moment just before dark to take the shot. It makes the property look very welcoming and special. On my 'to do' list.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I want to do some outside photos, as I believe this is where guests will spend the majority of their time. I was going to set the garden table up with glasses, plates, candles etc and outside lights on and having an evening outside shot. Do you think the table will just look over the top? My problem is that the house will not be finished until December and the garden landscaping will still need to be done. So in order to get an outside photo, I think al fresco dining is the only photo I will be able to take.

The things that I was going to borrow from our house were things like tablecloths, vases, candlesticks?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

VillaTatiana wrote:The things that I was going to borrow from our house were things like tablecloths, vases, candlesticks?
Sorry, but if your guests can't recreate the "atmosphere" which you are planning to portray without the things which are already there or which they may reasonably be expected to have taken on holiday with them (candlesticks???), then I really don't think you should include them...

Are you not going to be providing these things anyway? Surely you could pick up these items locally at low cost? (Or from Ebay, which is where we have bought much of the stuff in our house).
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I wasn't going to provide things like vases as I didn't think there would be much use for them. I have provided a couple of candle sticks in case of a power cut, but I was going to borrow prettier ones as the ones I have provided are a bit more practical. I get your point and obviously need to take the photos with all the stuff we are providing. I did have a mad idea to take a photo with loads of little t-lights everywhere in the garden, but guests might think it a bit weird when they open a kitchen cupboard to be faced with hundreds of t-light holders!! :oops:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The pot of geraniums or the wine as described or why not a bowl of fruit? You don't need a tablecloth, but I supply placemats, so if you also plan to do so, these would help give the table a 'finished' look; candles in simple metal candle-holders would be fine, or tea-lights - the holders for these can be bought very cheaply. I also bought a glass vase from IKEA for something like £2, but this isn't strictly necessary, and the plant in the pot would serve the purpose just as well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I think tea lights are a great idea! They are low cost and less dangerous than ordinary candles, and they look really pretty. This is a good example of lateral thinking - your photos will still look pretty and attractive, and you wouldn't be being dishonest. Nice one!

But as you say, hundreds of them may look a little odd! Jane's suggestion of a bottle of wine and wineglasses, and a table full of food (which obviously you wouldn't be providing!) would be more than sufficient. Who needs vases? :D

(EDIT - Jane you must have posted whilst I was typing but glad we are obviously in agreement here!)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I haven't photographed my vacation home yet as it is still being renovated...but...I have sold real estate before and I always think you should set the table...it looks great in photos even if you think it would be over the top...empty tables/spaces just don't photograph very well! I would, however, try to use things that are in the rental as to not mislead...but you can always buy very inexpensive candle sticks or use empty wine bottles in a casual setting...you can tie napkins at place settings with natural raffia (sp?) that you can get in a craft store - or even use the tea towels if you don't have cloth napkins :-) place a cut flower in each one for some color...you get my point, just be creative and take a lot of photos and see what looks best. If you are really presed, do a setting for breakfast - much easier and you don't need as much cutlery and wine/water glasses, etc. you can use small plates and coffee mugs, fruit or basket of bread, flowers, etc. Have fun!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hubby took some new ones of our place last week, set the table and everything. Can't tell you what they're like though as i've not got round to downloading from the camera yet.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I would deffo "stage" the rooms to look their best,but only with things that you are actually putting in the house. I did our kitchen, table cloth, glasses ,champagne bucket etc but all this stuff IS actually left in the house so they can recreate the look- or any other look for that matter. I leave a vase of flowers to welcome them plus there are other vases dotted around the house. I do leave candlesticks,champage cooler,cut glass decanter on a silver try with special whisky tumblers so all this stuff is waiting for them. I wouldn't create an atmosphere that your guests would not be able to achieve easily themselves ! Sometimes a chic, simple look can be stunning, as someone said, a bit of raffia or herbs tied round a simple napkin can look terrific ! :wink:
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Thanks for all the ideas, we are not going over until December but will post the photos on here once we've taken them.

I was thinking of doing some practice runs on our table at home, to see what comes out best in photos or do you think I am becoming truly obsessed :oops:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

VillaTatiana wrote:do you think I am becoming truly obsessed
No, that is exactly the sort of thing that I would do - you are obviously just as anal as I am!!! :lol:
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Glad I'm not the only one :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

We're obviously all working towards the bottom line :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com