How to take payment from long-term renters?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
taurus

How to take payment from long-term renters?

Post by taurus »

I have received an enquiry for a long-term let (6 months), and obviously I am going to offer a very good discount, but my question is:

How do you usually take the payment? Requesting the renter to pay the whole 6-month rent in advance, might not be a good option (for the renter). But the other option is to let the site manager collect the rent monthly, which could become a headache for him and me if the renter delays the payments.

Would appreciate any advice on this.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I have a long term renter coming in this winter for 5 months. I broke it up into 2 rental contracts, to be sure he would be evictable, and as per the law here I asked for a security deposit of 1 months rent and all months paid on the first day of the period (22nd of the month for this contract). He asked if he could pay it all up front. Obviously I said yes!
Essar

Post by Essar »

Hello Taurus

For a 5-month rental I would accept monthly in advance with an up front security deposit equivalent to one months' rental.
For a shorter period of 1-month to 8-weeks I'd want it all up front - so 3-months or longer monthly in advance, less than 3-months all up front.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

When I did it, I asked for 1 month rent as deposit and the rent paid monthly in advance by bank transfer.

It worked very well, they bought a house nearby and later came to a few of our parties ( then decided to go back to UK).

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.