Late night arrivals

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Susan wrote:I always see guests later on and explain the pool and borders of our land, but as far as the houses is concerned, I'm sure they much prefer to explore them on their own, a guided tour is rarely required.
But at least, as you say Susan, you are on site, you do see your guests, and they know you're just a few steps away if there is a problem. There are lots of bits and pieces which need to be explained chez nous, eg where keys to French doors are kept for each room, keys to the store rooms, etc etc etc - it is much easier to be quickly shown these things than to trawl through a manual or apply trial and error or go hunting for something specific. We do have a manual, but not generally for that sort of thing. Some of what is explained to guests is there (does no harm to repeat certain things after all) but it's more to do with shopping, info on doctors, dentists etc, market days, and the info on activities/places of interest given on the website. Guests come to relax and want to get down to doing that asap, and a quick show of the ropes fast-tracks them to that point. :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You are quite right Jane, it is a completely different kettle of fish as I am on site and they know where I live if they have any problems. I do, however, find that a lot of what I say when I do the meet and greet thing tends to go in one ear and out the other as the guests are often tired after the journey and don't really care where they have to put the rubbish when they arrive at 9pmin the evening!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

There's no ideal solution really, I conclude! :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

meeting guests

Post by Mouse »

We prefer to meet our guests briefly as we live on site. The main thing we do is advise about the cleaning (house/pool/gardening etc) & take them through the TV controls (sooo important to them!). Also I feel that if they at least meet us they won't feel like they're 'sharing' the property with strangers and if we need to go and speak with them about any misdemeanors - introductions have already been done!

However late night arrivals are a pain. Last year I was waiting quite a few times until 2am.
Our friends (who also rent) have bought a small key safe in which they put the keys to the house. They then tell the guests the code for the box & hey presto they get access to the keys. The next morning they bob round to see if everything is ok & advise on the cleaning days etc.
We've only got one late arrival this year - but I am going to buy a key safe for next year - they are such a good idea.

Mouse