August bank holiday week not booked - again

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
harcourtv57

August bank holiday week not booked - again

Post by harcourtv57 »

For the second year running we have not been able to book August Bank Holiday week in either of our properties. Last year I thought it was just a blip - but same again this year.

When the weather picked up a bit I had loads of enquiries, especially for short breaks but only had one booking for the weekend just gone.

I would have thought it would be a popular week to have off as only need to take four days leave. Its peak season and the same price as the rest of July and August which have been almost fully booked - so bit of a mystery - has anyone else experienced this? Is it too close to going back to school (with all the arrangements that entails) or perhaps people being put off by bank holiday traffic etc?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

When mine wasn't booked by the first week of August (but I had had quite a few short stay enquiries) and as both my husband and I have been unwell and our some time help was not going to be here two Saturdays running, I decided to just blank out that period so I didn't test it out as a last minute week. We have just enjoyed doing it slowly over the weekend, not having to do a rapid changeover like normal.

I have always found the second half of August the slowest to be booked and I do think that it is something to do with getting the children back to school - that last week is just too close. Looking back over bookings for 2010, the whole summer was booked except for that week and in 2011 the last fortnight of August was empty.

The first week of September is always booked, usually by childless or mature couples. Next year I may reduce the price for the week or allow a short stay as that is all I got enquiries for. Personally, we never plan to go anywhere on a Bank Holiday weekend because of the traffic but that clearly isn't the case for everybody as there is still so much traffic!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

August bank holiday week has always been sticky for me...and usually the last one to be sold. The only 2 times it has sold early on it has been because someone specifically wanted that period for a wedding or birthday. In those cases i thank my lucky stars.

I too think it's quite bizarre...and when I hear the usual report about the great bank holiday get-away I wonder where people are going :D

It gives me a problem really - I include it in with peak week prices, but discount if needs be. However if I included it in the September prices would it generate more interest or is it just a case of it being a slow period no matter what price. Though, as I say, it usually sells eventually.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Same here - we are only just entering our second year of letting & both times the last week in August has been the last to go. Having said that we did sell it in May this year which isn't too bad but all the other school holiday weeks had long gone. It's Christmas I find hard :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks both - very interesting - and supports my own experience.

I think for next year I may discount a lot sooner if not booked, or reduce to September prices and see if this improves the bookings!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We found Christmas difficult last year, mostly because we weren't prepared to let for less than a week and everyone wanted short breaks - but lo and behold as soon as we offered short breaks we have taken a week's booking over Christmas!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It was one of the last gaps left for the peak summer and I had a few enquiries that didn't book. I therefore decided to reduce it to half way between the week before and the first September week. That then booked.

I could have sold the bank holiday weekend ten times over, if I had been prepared to wait until the very last minute. I even had people ringing me on Saturday for the weekend!

It is strange; I personally think it's a great week to have off because of only needing four days holiday, but I think many families prefer a bit of time before going back to school. Maybe because of the bad summer we have had, people held off until the last minute and then decided they needed a break whatever!

I also don't try and sell Christmas at peak prices; I price it at September levels.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I think you'll find that a lot of the children went back to school today for a "pre-school" day with "proper" school starting tomorrow. We actually had a late cancellation of booking made in January when they realised the children were returning to school in August and not early September as is normal. If you look on the school holiday sites there are many local authorities areas returning this week - with just as many next week - definitely a funny year.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
MaggieP

August bank holiday

Post by MaggieP »

Yes same here, we had a very last minute (day before) booking for 4 nights.