"Hats off to Paolo"

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
John Borg

"Hats off to Paolo"

Post by John Borg »

No pun intended, though I must say "Hats off to Paolo"!!
Within the first few days of launching your site and of coarse this forum, this forum is already bringing together people with at least one thing in common - property renters - to a specific market - tourists. This idea of exchanging problems, ideas and past experiences is highly commendable, so yes Paolo, Hats off to you! Thanks.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
tansy

hat's off

Post by tansy »

Yes I agree - excellent idea to discuss - I'm interested how folk are handling the new cot rules - I've done a regret to all our holiday makers - new regulations introduced mean that if they want to use the cot with new mattress we regret but now have to charge 150 Euros surcharge for cots...spookily not one mother was worried and were quite happy to sign a disclaimer, how have other got on? Also am interested in the new swimming pool rules - any feed back? Then finally what do you do if you have guests from hell...I'd love to start a black list :wink:
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Tansy, can you give us more information regarding the cot issue? This is a very important issue. Do you actually mean that you use a new matress every time? What about the disclaimer?
Malta – always in the sunshine!
paolo

Post by paolo »

John, thanks and hats off to you and the others for jumping in and posting.

On the subject of cots, I looked into this a little, to see why it is said to be dangerous for babies to sleep on a used mattress. It's to do with passing on bacterial infection that is suspected as one cause of SIDS, you can read a story about it in the New Scientist from 2002 here:
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992174

Personally I supply folding travel cots with plastic bases - this circumvents the problem and babies don't seem to mind the lack of comfort.

But I did not know that there was legislation on this - any more info on that?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Does anyone know the regulations regarding cots for British holiday homes.

much appreciated

Stephen
paolo

Post by paolo »

All I know is this email I got from a Lay My Hat reader:

"I have recently had a visit from The Trading Standards Safety Officer, after inspecting my premises they advised me of the latest legislation regarding the supply of articles like cots and high chairs.

"These articles must be of the highest specifications, and all equipment used by children especially babies must be thouroughly sterilised after each use. I do have grave reservations regarding the supply of cots because of the passing on of any germs. I voiced my opinions to the Officer who agreed with me that it is better not to supply them unless they can be replaced every season, and more importantly matresses need to be absolutely new each visitor. In consequence I have decided to be very up front with any enquiries and advise them to bring their own travel cot and explain why. I have found no objections so far , on the contrary Mothers have been grateful for the information."
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

cots

Post by tansy »

Sorry - didn't see the replies.... Paolo's quote is one of the sources I got it from plus another holiday rental owner - I have erred on the side of caution and possibly over the top (but there's nowt queer as folk!) - the disclaimer I use is in form of our terms of business I get a copy signed that they agree to our terms and conditions....which helps a little if there is damage.

I do think the forum will come into it's own - help with new regulations etc. aired on the web and how everyone is working with them.