Critique appreciated

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
AndyLucia

Critique appreciated

Post by AndyLucia »

Hi folks,

New boy here, working for a family who rent out a couple of their own villas in the Isla Canela/Isla Cristina area, as well as some for friends etc.

I am totally new to this field, and relatively new to website design. I've put together a couple of websites, andaluciarentals.co.uk and andaluciarentals.eu, to try to promote the properties and the area, which is itself underappreciated by most of Europe!

People here are obviously a lot more experienced in the holiday rentals field than I am. I have designed these sites to be appealing, accessible and functional; I have also started to build 'useful' information, such as local cuisine, wildlife, activities etc.

Any critique that can be offered would be appreciated. Am I heading in the right direction, or have I made the proverbial pigs ear of the sites. In addition, the .eu site is a later version, learning from the mistakes I made on the co.uk site; my intention is to switch the .co.uk site to an identical layout, but is the layout the right one?

Do your worst. :oops: :?
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
enid

Post by enid »

I don't have time to give a full review - aperitifs are on the way!! But I like both sites - the .eu one a little more. All loads quickly, good colour scheme; eazsy to read text. I'll come back for another look - heck I used to be a headteacher so there must be something to nit pick at!!!
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Enid,

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm looking forward to the full nit-picking review. :)

BTW, the weather thingy on your website isn't showing.
AndyLucia
Martha

Post by Martha »

A few quick thoughts, more as I think of them....

- good work losing the splash page on the later site - they are a huge turn-off for the majority of visitors.

- I find the repeated menu on the left-hand side of the home page confusing. As you're using the space for subnav later in the site, it's inconsistent to repeat it here, and not necessary

- I'm a bit confused about what you actually do - Andaluciarentals implies that I would rent from you, but the copy makes it look like you are more of an estate agency? I might be being a bit stupid here, but it's not at all clear to me.

For instance:
"To help you deal with the complexities of purchasing your home in the sun we have now launched a dedicated website, Andalucia Sales. "

But this appears to be the same site to me. Maybe a clear, bulleted list of services?

- The information on the site about the area is really good and interesting!

- In order to get all the pics in, you've compressed them as gifs and animated them. This means that they've lost a lot of quality, and I found the animation tiring on the eyes after a while. Better to put all of them on the page and compress as jpgs to get much better quality.

- I wanted to check the info on the gif, just in case you were using a script to animate them, and you've put a disable right-click script on them so I couldn't. Anyone who really wants them can easily get them from looking at the source, and many people want to save pics to the desktop that interest them - why is it a problem? If they think it's interesting, they may well be a potential client. When I'm looking for places to stay, I often download a pic to send to mr firebug to see what he thinks. If you're really worried, it would be better to add your URL in small neat letters to the bottom of each pic, so that anyone who downloads it remembers your details.

- It would be better to use live text for the subnav (as you have in the main nav) - google likes this much better and it will look pretty much the same.

anyway I hope this doesn't sound too depressing! I think the copy and info is really very good indeed :D it's a really useful site, great job!
Last edited by Martha on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I took a look but was a bit puzzled with the juxtaposition of places to buy with villas to rent. The site seems to be pretty good , just a bit puzzling but others may well disagree !! I love the area by the way and have stayed in Arcos before, as well as a couple of other places in the vicinity :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Keep 'em coming folks, this is useful stuff.

Probably sensible to give a bit of background, it might help to explain some of the seeming inconsistencies. As I've mentioned in another thread, Andalucia Rentals is run by a family who have been visiting the area from well over twenty years, own three properties in the area themselves and rent out properties on behalf of friends. As an entity AR has been up and running for about two years, but more as a hobby than a serious venture.

The new sites are an attempt to make it a more serious proposition. When I joined they had a small website, built in Front Page, which was attempting to do exactly what Firebug describes, work both as a rentals and a sales site. Although I've never built a website before, I have had plenty of input in my previous jobs, so when they said they were looking to revamp their website I volunteered myself for the job!! :shock:

So part of my problem is having to move them away from the mindset of the past few years, which I'm having to do in baby steps. I managed to convince them that, if they were serious about wanting to pursue both markets, it was imperative to split the rentals and sales sides completely; the confusion that you mention stems from the fact that, at present, it has been good politics to retain some of the original copy from the old site - ultimately I want to get to the stage where the only mention 'sales' on the website is on the navigation bar and the dedicated page linking to the sales site (good search engine practice I am led to understand).

So the .co.uk site was my first attempt at a website, which is why the .eu site is a lot better; whew, now I understand the phrase 'steep learning curve'! As soon as I can get them to agree I'm hauling the .co.uk site into that same format!

Picking up on a few specific comments. Firebug, you mention the disabled right-click, that's there at the insistence of the lady boss; I like your idea about adding the url, I'll float that as an alternative idea. Re. the gifs, I'm not happy about the image quality either, but it's a balancing act between getting in all the pictures that we need and keeping the pages as clean as possible; another consideration is the loading time of the page if I was to pack it out with jpgs - I'm looking at other ways to approach this problem.

Could you explain what you mean about the 'live text for the subnav'? I also like the idea of losing the subnav on the home page, it could give me the impetus I need to dispose of that splash screen!

We're all sort of evangelical about the area here, I hope that's coming across in the site.

EDIT - Ah, I now understand some of the confusion. I seem to have uploaded some revised sales site page to the .eu rentals page. Whoops!! - EDIT

Many thanks
AndyLucia